Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 02:53:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Button Question

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, October 08, 2014, 09:52:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Another button style that comes to mind, were the ones that look similar to the canvas back, except they had a shoelace-type string with a clip on the end. I mainly saw them in Tell City furniture. They used them to attach a tufted cushion to a finished Early American wood frame, such as a footstool. The clips were visible on the bottom of the footstool.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on October 11, 2014, 07:05:52 am
Another button style that comes to mind, were the ones that look similar to the canvas back, except they had a shoelace-type string with a clip on the end. I mainly saw them in Tell City furniture. They used them to attach a tufted cushion to a finished Early American wood frame, such as a footstool. The clips were visible on the bottom of the footstool.

Do you remember if the clasp looked like this?

...or maybe this?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

Dede; No, not like those clips. The shoelace was pressed into the clip somehow. The clip didn't have any holes in it.

The whole button, string, and clip had a predetermined length. So it had to be made for a specific application, and must've been installed with a special insertion tool.

Back in the 80's, I saw them all the time. But especially on Tell City furniture.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: Dede on October 11, 2014, 08:15:57 am
Quote from: sofadoc on October 11, 2014, 07:05:52 am

Do you remember if the clasp looked like this?

...or maybe this?

These are the two clip styles that are inserted from the front with a special tool one for each style clip. Very handy as log as there is decent fabric behind the filling for repairs.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Thanks, guys.  I love a good button mystery, but this one has me flummoxed.  All I can picture is my old cheapie ironing board cover that uses a metal "fold-over" clip to hold the casing string.  This isn't mine, but you get the idea:

West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com