Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 09:01:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Seating Vinyl

Started by baileyuph, May 01, 2013, 06:11:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Boat people:  Can you comparatively comment on Nautolex, their Capitano pattern?

Reason I ask a regional supplier mailed my business a flyer on this line and the prices for our region are competitive, but I haven't dug into this enough to understand if it is apples to apples or apples to oranges.

The flyer didn't indicate weight nor include a sample, just a color chart.

While Dennis doesn't do boats, he might be familiar with the company:  Foam Products of Tyler, Inc. that apparently ships from three locations.

My general question is what parameters do you boat people use to evaluate boat seat vinyl?  Weight, obviously whether it is designed for marine, what else?  And what is a decent seat weight, about 32 oz.

I notice from the mailed flyer, the price is much better by the roll.

Buying by the yard, the stuff like everything else has inflated.

Dennis, you done any business with this vendor, he is in our region with their three shipping point?

I purposely do not throw prices from wholesalers out.

Doyle

JuneC

I really like working with Capitano, but it does have a leather grain which some boaters don't like because the creases collect dirt and the high spots in the grain can rub if it's in a spot that gets a lot of abrasion.  It has a 50,000 double rub spec.  I also like Seaquest which has a 175,000 double rub spec and is a hair heavier than Capitano.  Both are substantial vinyls.  For softer seating, I like Seabrook.  Seabrook has a very smooth face that can get slippery when wet but doesn't collect dirt.  It's more "drapeable" and seems to have greater flex than the other two.  All are similarly priced.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Foam Products of Tyler has been delivering to me for years (80 miles from my shop). They are great people to do business with. Their prices are very good on vinyls, and contract tweeds. But I get slightly better foam/batting prices from other places.

They have free delivery available every Friday with a minimum order. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Good input June, what I should do is ask for live samples and go from there.  The Seaquest.  I appreciate the details, because for some marine seating I would appreciate the softer attributes of Seabrook.  But not always , the less soft SeaQuest is preferred.

I am looking at a larger contract job and it isn't actually a marine project and a roll of Capitano might be the ticket for that contract.

I noticec Nautolex is produced by the makers of Boltasoft and Boltaflex.  Anyone know where they make their stuff?

I use two or three rolls a year of Naugahyde, seems to be pretty good stuff.  If they still do, not much is made in the states.  Instead I understand Canada is where most Naugahyde is made.

Good info all,

Doyle