Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:53:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine closing large cushions w/o a zipper

Started by D3Gilmore, April 05, 2017, 10:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I have a client who has asked me to patch some tears in his patio cushions.  These are Costco purchased Sunbrella fabric that were machine stitched closed - no zipper.  He doesn't want me to add a zipper, just patch and close back up.

I don't have a commercial machine per se. I have a Janome Memory Craft that does everything I have needed up until now with a deep throat for larger projects like drapery, etc. and I'm able to shift my needle electronically for projects that can't quite fit under the presser foot. 

My problem is machine closing 5-6" cushions and fitting them under the neck of the machine.  I have used silk wrap to compress the cushions to get them into the covers, but I can't leave that on and close it up that way.  Is there a magical machine I just haven't heard about that I could use for situations like this that the client wants stitched closed?  I ended up hand-stitching it closed, but I really don't want to do that forever.

Thanks for your time and advice!

MinUph

There are specialty machine for most any purpose. You could have 10 to do most things. 5-6" cushions are going to be hard to sew closed even with a commercial machine, It sometimes takes two people. Sewing them by hand is probably the best way. A seam stretcher make the job much easier.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

April 05, 2017, 03:35:43 pm #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:36:21 pm by gene
This is why an industrial sewing machine is best for this type of work. You are wressling the boxed cushion under the needle and pulling/pushing on the needle and feed dogs.

Something I've done in the past: Push the foam back away from the edge that you are going to sew. Push is back as far as you can. Pin the top panel and boxing together to keep the foam pushed back. Now you have a flap that's a few inches long that you can sew more easily with a sewing machine.

I also pin the top panel and boxing along the edge where I am going to sew. This makes it easier to sew. When done sewing, I pull the pins out that were holding the foam back and the foam usually pops back. Sometimes I will use a regulator to help the foam along.

Hope this helps.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

A cushion that big wouldn't fit under my industrial singer either. I never liked the look of machine closed cushions or toss pillows. I would rather hand sew it. We give two options. Zipper close or hand close and charge the same for both.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I'm trying to picture why you have to cram the cushion under the neck of the machine?

Can you not close it up with the cushion out to the left of the needle?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on April 05, 2017, 06:22:44 pm
I'm trying to picture why you have to cram the cushion under the neck of the machine?

yes paul you can but you still have a good portion of foam in the way getting rthe seam close enough to sew shut  , I like genes idea of pushing the foam in the cushion back

sofadoc

Quote from: Mike on April 05, 2017, 07:53:08 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on April 05, 2017, 06:22:44 pm

yes paul you can but you still have a good portion of foam in the way getting the seam close enough to sew shut  , I like genes idea of pushing the foam in the cushion back
Yeah, if you do like Gene says, you should be able to close it up on most any commercial machine.

With a non-commercial machine, YMMV.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

The factory method should be doable because the patio cushions (outdoors) are not usually
filled with a block of foam.  That has allowed the cushion to be sewn by pushing the
existing filler from factory.

Understandable the customer doesn't want zippers (uncomfortable/subject to moisture/etc.)

What has been said about closing with a foam core - understandable.

Doyle

Grebo

I've done the same as gene or:
If customer doesn't want zippers, options. Velcro or find some sympathetic material & make into envelopes. Original material stays on show & use the other for the tucked under bit.

Suzi