Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 11:53:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Blindstitch machine

Started by Cheryl, September 05, 2010, 10:29:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheryl

Putzing online this morning and saw this -- its local pick up only - central FL...  thought maybe someone here might be interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CONSEW-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-BLINDSTITCH_W0QQitemZ350384975868QQcategoryZ3118QQcmdZViewItem#ht_5857wt_1054

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

How do you feed the material into that thing ???............:)

Those machines do look weird don't they ?

It is very close to my house but what the heck am I going to do with that machine ?

Think I will pass. :)

Chris

gene

Who would have thought that someone would make a sewing machine for the visually impaired? Awesome!

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Toledo Mach. Sales

That's used in draperies,dress pant bottoms to make a blindhem,press on the knee lift & the foot lowers down to accept the material.
It uses 1-thread & makes a chainstitch that can pull out if not locked properly.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Cheryl

Thanks for the additional information Bob.  :)

Gene..     for the blind..   hahaha!
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

baileyuph

QuoteWho would have thought that someone would make a sewing machine for the visually impaired? Awesome

LOL, your in the wrong business Gene!

I needed that after the week I am having.

Bob, quick question:  Is this machine suitable for hemming upholstery materials, I suppose I am thinking the medium to heavy weight materials?

Doyle

Toledo Mach. Sales

Doyle,
Well it's used in drapery hems @ the bottom,if your using it like that to finish the bottom on something it would work.Yes,it will sew heavier material but you have to be careful going across seams.
Alot of hems in uph are done w/a straight stitch were the seam is rolled over & topstitched for a more secured & stronger hem.
HTH,
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

bobbin

Blindstitch machines are very cool machines.  Mine is a US Blindstitch, can't recall the specific model number, but it dates from the early-mid 1960s.  As Bob mentioned it performs a single thread chainstitch and if the stitch is not locked off properly it will pull out in nanoseconds.  If you've ever had a hem come down on a pair of slacks or a skirt you'll know what I mean! 

The needle is a rather long (relative to what you're used to on your machines), curved affair that moves back and forth horizontally, rather than vertically as is typical on your machinery.  The idea is that the needle will just barely skim the fabric, picking up one of the threads of the weave, leaving no trace on the finished side of the goods... hence the name, "blindstitich".   The depth of the needle's travel is adjusted with a dial that is called the "bite".  Thread tension is adjusted with a typical tension disc located over the needle.   Regular thread can be used but more typically monofilament or a very lightweight polyester or nylon thread is used.  The lighter the thread the more invisible the stitch. 

As Bob pointed out, going over multiple layers is not this machine's forte as the needle is long, curved, and can be easily broken attempting to cross too many layers of fabric (adjusting the bite is critical here).  Once adjusted for the sort of work required of it they perform reliably and are a huge time saver.  When working with heavier goods you would likely run regular thread, a larger needle size, and you would have to pay strict attention to all adjustments relating to how the goods are fed through the machine. 

baileyuph

Big thanks to Bob, at Toledo Machine Sales and our favorite Bobbin for the outstanding description of the Blind Hemmer and the recommended use of the machine. 

It sounds like a must for the drapery industry, Lined drapes and sheers in particular and of course the garment industry as stated.

Sounds like a viscious needle flying across and barely into the fabric.

What is interesting is how advanced some of the old technology really was.  Very impressive.

Doyle