Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 01:17:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

training

Started by brmax, August 06, 2013, 09:59:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I want to put this up for some discussion, What "inital" type training deductions can be used for tax deduction purpose's and what defines this.  This would be under sole / llc type business setup.
I just need to try and understand it better, and for actual training !.
Just some basic stuff here please, Im not writing a new ammendment.

SteveA

Can you take an oath you're not an IRS agent looking for a reason to pry a few more bucks out of my account. 

My understanding is " if it's a business related expense - "it's deductible" 
However an accountant with a sharp pencil will be the best judge at year end.
SA

byhammerandhand

August 07, 2013, 05:32:06 am #2 Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:39:09 am by byhammerandhand
General rule: Education to maintain or improve your current occupation is a business-related expense.   Education to qualify you for a new occupation is not.   So (in my opinion) if you are an upholsterer that currently does furniture and take training to do auto and marine as part of your business, it's OK.   If you are currently selling cars and take classes to do auto and marine upholstery, not so much.

For a more thorough discussion:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch12.html#en_US_2012_publink1000178667
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

August 07, 2013, 07:14:46 pm #3 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:46:19 pm by brmax
Im going to have to talk with some sharp pencil personell I supose, it is a good idea.
Thanks Steve  and the oaths are can do,  but I guess they as everybody have a place.
Thanks Athammerandhand on that article I turned it every which way reading it,  just thought I might miss something like an island tour. I will re read it!

brmax

Wow this quickly went somewhere,  I guess theres a line between inital experiance training or intrade to be determined by someone.  Then possibly training after that can be looked at, The first part probably has to be signed off by yourself CEO or maybe a CPA Im sure somewhere there is wording thats straight forward enough,  I just havent read or remember reading it.  Improvement training is basicly a plain read and all good, but most of everyone here has to look way back in experiance to recall inital type so its where does that line inital and improve split.  If i make it more interesting and say buy a weeks worth of training or a new basic 1541.  How and who determines, i mean if its on paper and a measurement i can measure up or get more.
Not a big deal just whos grading and whats the rule.  I / dont hold me to this heard, some States have some kind of process that has to be held to for some material or fabric and upholstery.  That im not familar with at all so movin on.
Batter UP!