Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 04:43:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Chandsew by Chandler

Started by sunshine_n_pc, July 19, 2010, 05:46:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

I ran across a Chandsew 406RB that says it is made by Chandler.  I have seen the Chandlers but not one that says Chandsew.  Does anybody have any information about this machine?  I can buy it for $400 plus get a lot of freebies with it.  The guy bought it in 2002 to make a boat enclosure and cover - he made it and one for a friend.  Prior to that it was used in a small upholstery shop.  Any idea of how old this machine could be or if it would be a good buy?

Thanks
CeCe

Mojo

July 20, 2010, 04:11:54 am #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:16:35 am by Mojo
I just bought this same machine and love it. I have had great luck with it and it sews like a dream.
I purchased mine new from Bob of Toledo Machine who is a vendor on this forum in February of this year.

The Chandler like other machines is a copy of the Consew 206 rb-5. The parts and attachments for these machines are plentiful and cheap.

If the machine sews good and there is no problems with it then the price is good. Just be sure you test the machine before buying.

Here is the Chandler website. http://www.chandlermachineco.com/chandler-home-page.wd

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Chandler is copy of Seiko STH-8BLD-3.  Consew 206RB-5 has many parts that are different.  Both Consew 206RB-5 and new model Chandler 406RB-1 are made in different factories.

I doubt that same machine from eight years ago plus is the same as the new model from China.  Not a bad machine, but does need setup from dealer or factory out of the box, so take care of where this machine is coming from.  I just sent an email to someone who posts here about this yesterday.

sunshine_n_pc

I find it odd that I can find NOTHING referencing this machine.  I have a picture of the machine and it says Chandsew in the place that it would normally say Chandler and there is a plaque attached that says it is made by Chandler.  I have found a button sewer and one other machine that says Chandsew but nothing like the 406rb. 

Could this be a machine that was only sold overseas, someone owned it and brought it to the states?  That is the only explanation I could think of - of course, pure speculation.

Any info would be great.

CeCe

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sunshine_n_pc on July 20, 2010, 04:59:56 am
I find it odd that I can find NOTHING referencing this machine.  I have a picture of the machine and it says Chandsew in the place that it would normally say Chandler and there is a plaque attached that says it is made by Chandler.  I have found a button sewer and one other machine that says Chandsew but nothing like the 406rb.  

Could this be a machine that was only sold overseas, someone owned it and brought it to the states?  That is the only explanation I could think of - of course, pure speculation.

Any info would be great.

CeCe

Let me see a pic.

Back in the day, there was Chandler out of NY and MA, and now currently the same family who owns Consew owns the Chandler name.  

Chandsew may yet ANOTHER company, or name, or whatever.  The old Chandler used to sell mosty new Juki and Adler equipment with factory labels ripped off and replaced with their own brand and model labels, and even changed part numbers in the book so that customers were dependant on them for parts and service.  I don't blame them since they were doing all of the work.  

Some of my exact history is hazy, but I can make a call and find out, but again this is history at this point. 

sunshine_n_pc

The tag says "Chandler Machine Sales Co, Inc" - it is on an oval metal plaque.  I'd send a picture if I knew how :)  The machine looks identical to the Consew 406rb-1, except Chandsew is painting across it instead of Consew. 

BUT, I have decided not to buy - the lack of information is odd.  The distance to pick up just doesn't make since when paired with a machine that no one knows what it is.  Now, it is just an interesting puzzle for me - would still love to figure out the puzzle, just don't go out of your way. 

sofadoc

If you like the machine and the price, Don't let the "Chandsew" name scare you off.
I've mentioned on this forum before that I sewed on a Juki LU-562 for over 20 years. It actually was a "Glaco" LU-562 (Identical to the Juki in every way).
Having said that, $400 might be a bit high for a 10+ year old machine that only cost $1000 brand new. But, if it has a lot of "freebies", such as an assortment of welt feet, it might not be a bad deal after all.
What kind of machine have you been sewing on? If the Chandsew isn't too far away, it wouldn't hurt to test it, if for no other reason, than to get a feel of different machines.
Happy hunting!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

sunshine_n_pc

Hmmm ....he's 6  hours away, so there's no testing it    :)

But, I am driving about 6 to 7 hours away tomorrow to pick up a Juki DNU1541, it was made in  Japan, it was bought new by a retired couple who tried to open a marine canvas store, they only did about 10 jobs and they closed the business.   He has lots of extras and stuff to  go with it - paying $800 - I feel good about it.

sofadoc

Quote from: sunshine_n_pc on July 20, 2010, 06:01:45 pm
paying $800 - I feel good about it.

I think you should feel GREAT about that one! All good things come to those who wait. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban