Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 07:07:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Price of Cheap Furniture Going Up

Started by Mojo, July 18, 2010, 02:17:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was just reading this article and thought I would pass it on since we have a few stitchers here that work primarily with furniture.

Here is the link to the article -

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/environment/2010-07-18-formaldehyde-free-furniture_N.htm?csp=34money&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomMoney-TopStories+%28Money+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

I hope the Fed's do not adopt too many of California's laws. :(

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

That lay may take over three years to go into effect, as per the article.

There is going to be a big domestic 10 to 15 percent increase soon for goods coming in from China, and has already started in Japan.  Shipping costs seem to go up every month.

Just wait and see. 

Mojo

Funny you mention that Greg. I was just reading last week that CSX raised their shipping rates for goods moved by their trains.

When shipping rates go up it doesn't take long before we all feel it.

Chris

cruiser

Prices on all furniture is going up.  Imports as well as domestic.  Cost of raw materials along with shipping are the main factors.     

Like Gregg says, what and see.

bobbin

I'm not so sure I think "going green" is a bad idea.  It can spur innovation and it can pave the way for a less polluted and exploited planet.  As it is now, we pay nowhere near  the actual cost of many things when you factor in the toll on the environment on the manufacturing end, and also the "it's worn out and we'll just throw it out" end... all that crap winds up in landfills and we don't really have any idea what all those chemicals are doing to surrounding soil and groundwater... (Think about the price of electronics and the fact that you have to pay to get rid of them!).  Let's not even get into the exploitation of our fellow man, millions that work for virtually no pay in appalling conditions; the same conditions outlawed in our country nearly one hundred years ago... .  So, there are 2 ways to look at the issue. 

On the up side:  maybe this will bring people back around to the concept of buying quality and living with it for a long time... or, opting for quality at a yardsale and hiring people like us to re-do it and give it new life!

I understand the sentiment that more regulation is not necessarily an improvement of the present situation, and I agree with it.  A perfect example are VOC laws and the paint industry.  In my state it's no longer possible to purchase a full gallon on high gloss oil enamel paint because a gallon container emits VOCs in excess of allowed amounts.  But you can buy a quart... .  Go figure.  And, many of those laws came into play because stupid people didn't follow the directions on the can... and disposed of it improperly, harming the environment.  The new law makes it more difficult and expensive for alkyd paint fans looking for high gloss to fulfill our vision... even though I used and disposed of it safely and properly.  I don't like it, but I deal with it... and do so because I understand that in the big picture it's probably a good decision.