Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 05:13:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Canvas Overlocking Question

Started by baileyuph, November 23, 2013, 06:01:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I am learning a little along the way.  Even from observation, there are a number of ways to cover and lock an edge, I too want to grasp this type of sewing better.

A serged edge is easier, I suppose because of exposure.  Serged carpet edge conjurs a good picture in the mind.

Being involved in auto original work, repairs and such, I do see some type of over lock going on.  What machine does that, don't know, would be interesting to just see the machine.  Seeing, touching, makes the mental process easier. 

The machine being offered to me is either Japan or Italy.  I will eventually go back and test with it.  It is offered to me because of appreciation for considerable tech support in some very important work with one of the new car customizing done on new cars before sold.  There are a couple of companies who specialize in this.  Their custom treatments to a new car or truck or Corvette can add several thousand bucks to the show room sales price.  Anyway that is the background and status on that issue.

One comment on the umbrella work, btw it is not top priority but I am taking it seriously.  The triangles, if you will, are sewn together (lock stitched), the to basically keep the hem in position and counter any fraying tendency, the overlocking comes into play.

I will learn and enjoy this trip, I believe.  More as I sort this all out.

Doyle

bobbin

Rimoldi is an Italian machine.  Very reliable, nice quality.  I don't know how recently the machine you may be in line to receive was manufactured.  But bear in mind that industrial machinery for production settings is designed to run 3 shifts/day.  Properly maintained, they will last a very long time.  And parts tend to be in pretty ready supply.  I have never operated one, but see them for sale regularly on Craigslist; judging from the color of the heads and bench tops I'd say what comes up for sale here is late '70s-mid'80s vintage.  But that's just a guess since I'm not familiar with model numbers. 

Japan.  The grand daddy of manufacturing quality control (thank you, Mr. Deming).  Yamato, Juki, Brother, Mitsubishi, Kansai... .  In recent years much of the production has shifted to Korea (good) and more recently to China (jury is still out).  Older machines manufactured in Japan are second to none, and a quick call to your mechanic will tell you lots about parts availability.  My W&G overlock was manufactured in Japan, so were both my Jukis, and my Nakagima.  My Chandler button sewing machine, W&G rotary take up single needle, Singer 31-15, and US Blindstitch were made in the USA. 

baileyuph

The donor machine looks like it was used three shifts, well it sure looks like it has been around.  The friend says it sewed very well, he just got a chance to grab a little bit nicer and I believe newer on.  It is the one I ran a few seams on and really was impressed.

So, the plan is to use his newest machine, get the job done and in the aftermath, play around with the donated machine and just learn the machine.  It is in a stand w/motor, but like I said, looks used a bit.

I could use a "over locker" on my OEM seat repair work because I like to put things back together the way they were.

He has a big carpet serger, I used it on some carpet work and it is a horse, really wraps the thread around the edge.  He has two of those machines also.

Thanks for the over view of what is quality equipment, serging and overlocking is a different world, but something I wish to learn more about.

Doyle