Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:56:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric Inspection Guide

Started by kodydog, May 14, 2015, 10:34:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

May 14, 2015, 10:34:05 am Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:34:29 am by kodydog
We've all seen the paper that is rolled inside fabric that says WARNING; INSPECT THIS FABRIC BEFORE CUTTING. Like if we don't inspect for yardage and flaws they will not reimburse us for damaged goods.

I found this document rolled about 5 yards into a bolt from Stroheim fabric. It is so detailed it pretty much absolves them from any responsibility.

I can never understand why the burden is placed on the upholsterer. Shouldn't this be done before it is shipped?  it would save a lot of time and aggravation.

The document is well written and thought out. I was thinking of framing it and hanging it on a wall in the cutting room. Also thinking of posting it on FB for COM customers. Only thing I would change is add Linen to the Taffeta & Chintz box.

The last line gets me the most. Why not add their phone number so I can contact them directly.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

I'm finishing up a sofa that has linen. I think there must be a treatment on it to help it not wrinkle so much, but wow, it does wrinkle. Full waterfall skirt so it does have a casual look to it. And a contrast fabric for the welt cord.

I see this paper occasionally also. I always call the customer when there's a problem if it's their fabric. Fortunately that doesn't happen too often. I don't have the paperwork for the supplier.

I always check the fabric. Roll it out, look at it for flaws, and measure it. I'd love to have one of those machines at Jo Ann Fabrics that rolls fabric with a motor onto tubes.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Yeah, I've seen that disclaimer a lot. Most of the time, it's the much simpler one that just says "Inspect before cutting..........no returns after fabric has been cut".

These disclaimers may legally absolve them of any responsibility. BUT if they want my future business, they WILL issue a refund or send replacement yardage. And so far, they always have. Even when I could've avoided the problem by unrolling 20 or more yards and scrutinizing every last inch of it.

A few years ago, my customer selected a fabric from Barrow. She called in her selection to me. The pattern was called "O'riley". So I ordered it. Well, it turns out that Barrow also had a pattern that was spelled "O'reilly". They sent the wrong one, I put it on the sofa without checking the sample book to make sure it was correct. They could've held up their disclaimer and said "Sorry, you should've checked before cutting". But they didn't. They sent me the correct pattern without any question.

Most reputable distributers will do the same. Even when they have a written disclaimer that covers them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Awesome that Barrow helped you out. Weird they had two patterns so close in name. To bad you had to redo the piece. Sometimes life just sends you a curve ball.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Years ago, when I was in IT, I met a couple of guys from Burlington Industries.   They said  they had a quality program and their goal was to have zero defects in a roll of fabric.   Seems since we've offshored production, we have come a long way when you can't get 8 yards without flaws.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on May 19, 2015, 08:11:23 am
Years ago, when I was in IT, I met a couple of guys from Burlington Industries.   They said  they had a quality program and their goal was to have zero defects in a roll of fabric.   Seems since we've offshored production, we have come a long way when you can't get 8 yards without flaws.
I once called a supplier and told them that I was covering a wall around the check-in desk at a motel. So I needed 10 yards with NO FLAWS. They checked their entire stock of the pattern (80+ yards). They couldn't do it.

Most suppliers now don't even think twice about just allowing an extra 1/8 yard for every flaw they happen to see. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

What is the industry standard........a 50 yard roll can have up to 7 flaws and still be considered a 1st quality.

Mojo

Every supplier has their own standard. Some accept numerous flaws others do not. On acrylic that I get from Miami I typically have 3 flaws per 65 yd roll. Any cut yardage they send me they inspect and re-roll before shipping it to me. if it has any flaws they wont send it.

The flaws I get from Sattler are always so small that you have to look closely to see them. Because the vast majority of our purchases are full rolls and most come direct from the manufacturers warehouse they are not inspected by Miami but still have the factory 3 flaw per roll designation and are always marked with bright colored tape.

Anytime I have ever gotten a bad roll from Sattler or Recacril that has had over 3 flaws both manufacturers have stepped up to the plate and replaced, it no questions asked. But we have a close working relationship with both manufacturers so there is never a question or problem.

Your suppliers buying requirements dictates how many flaws you will get. Some will accept fabric with numerous flaws because it is cheaper for them and increases their margins. Some like Miami are very picky and require first run goods.

I do not have a clue as to how it is with upholstery fabric ( linens, etc. ). My only experience is with acrylics and vinyls. We have a zero defect policy with our own products. Every awning item goes out the door with zero defects and very stringent measurement tolerances ( within a 16th of an inch ).
This is why I am very OCD about the fabric we buy.

Chris