Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:08:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How far should professional courtesy go?

Started by sofadoc, August 20, 2014, 02:02:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

There's a Hispanic lady in town who does upholstery out of her garage.

She doesn't collect sales tax, and I seriously doubt that she reports all (if any) of her income to Uncle Sam.

She started coming in my shop 5 or 6 years ago wanting to buy supply items. It started out small, buy has gradually grown the last few years.

I've always sold her stuff at near cost as a professional courtesy. Sometimes, I probably lose a few bucks because I'm too busy to stop and look up prices.

But lately, she has become more and more demanding. She doesn't understand when I don't want to sell her a supply item that I'm running short on myself.

Today, she bought a huge quantity of snaps from me, and then wanted to borrow my snap-setting tools. She got mad when I told her that she would have to leave a deposit equal to replacement cost for the tools.

My experience on loaning tools has always been "They come back broke.......if they come back at all".

She got really mad when I charged her $15 for a 1 lb. spool of #69 thread that was about half gone.

This lady is much cheaper than I am, and takes away some of my customers because of it. I don't feel like I owe her any favors.

She seems to have the attitude that I should be obligated to make her life as easy as possible.

Do you guys have any "Moochers"?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I'd say it's gone far enough and it's time for her to become a "real business" and establish her own supply chain.

I have a few people that don't overlap my work, nor mine theirs, much.   We're more than happy to help each other out, cross-refer jobs, and assist where we can.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

You have done enough.

The next time she stops by, hand her a note with a couple of supply houses' phone number and wish her the very best.

When she becomes "professional", treat her like one. Right now she just  has a profitable hobby. Steve

Darren Henry

DITTO! That's a case of her taking advantage of your good nature.

I have gotten the odd small bit to finish a project from competitors and either replaced it when mine came in or paid over cost. I've extended the same courtesy, but for a DIY'er like that---if at all at full retail and only if it was not going to hurt me. Dad was the same way. He was an electrician in a small town and sometimes the electrician from the neighbouring town got a job in our town and vise versa. It wasn't a regular occurrence but if one or the other were short ??(what a couple of tee nuts and a zipper would be to us) they helped each other out. Difference being it was a mutual understanding. Dad didn't shop at Bamlett's electric---he didn't shop at Gerald Henry electric. They just helped each other out once in a while.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

You got yourself into a good one this time LOL. Something I would probably do myself given the misfortune. But enough is enough. Besides the fact she is a cut rate competitor she is taking advantage of the situation. You may lose a friendship but I would say enough is enough. Doesn't sound like much of a friendship anyways. And professionalism goes both ways. Like Darren mentioned. You have a one way street with this one. Cut the ties.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Add my voice to the mounting chorus, Sofa..  Your little friend certainly packs a lot of gall.

I regularly help out colleagues when they need some specific item they don't usually have or they're running low on something and they, in turn, do the same thing for me.  But I know they're "on the up and up" and they aren't turning up at the well asking to borrow my bucket to carry my water home with them!

It's time for her to "pull up the big girl panties" and get her own accounts with suppliers. 

SteveA

Doc your a good guy for helping folks but this is once too often. I'm with Darren on this one - full retail - since your bills aren't paid by good gestures.  "Lending Tools"  never happen even with a deposit.
This person is not a danger to your business -  so I understand your good will but your entitled to charge full price for materials.
New Rules - no I don't like Bill Maher -  she can only come for supplies after calling you first to see if your free.
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Sheesh!

That's NERVEY!

When I first started, I called one of my competitors and asked how I could locate factory fabric for a truck.  Didn't ask him to do it for me; just was clueless on how to go about it.  Well, this dude read me the riot act.  Said something to the effect of it not being his job to help me do my job.

That is the answer to your problem.  She has grown to expect you to help her do her job.  Time to cut her apron strings.  If she wants to do upholstery, she needs to make her own contacts.  No problem in you giving her one or two phone numbers.

As far as loaning tools:  I would never, ever loan my tools out.  Period.  Probably comes from being the only girl with three brothers -- I never had to share my toys -- my tools are now my toys and I don't share my toys with anyone! ; )

Virginia

byhammerandhand

I don't lend tools either.  I've had too many bad outcomes.   Possibilities:

- Didn't know it broke / dulled and just returned it
- Must have been ready to break when I got it
- Are you sure it was OK when I borrowed it?  It didn't work all that well.

My neighbor is a talented guy in this trade, but is like a bull in a china shop.   I've even tried to give him some advice on things and he just happily ignored it and plowed on on.   I even don't want him to help me carry stuff in and out of the shop.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on August 21, 2014, 08:08:42 am
If she wants to do upholstery, she needs to make her own contacts.  No problem in you giving her one or two phone numbers.
I may be hijacking my own thread but this reminds me of a conversation I had with a supply salesman the other day.

He said that when he gets a request for a new account, the first thing he does is look up the address on Google Earth. If it looks like they are working from a run-down home, or they live way out in the boondocks, he blows them off. He does this against his boss's orders (who doesn't want them ruling out possible new accounts because of Google Earth).

Back to the lady, I've tried to give her a few phone numbers, but I suspect she either can't get an account, or already has, and owes them money.

kodydog

She should be grateful for your generosity. The fact she's copping an attitude tells me its time for her to hit the road.

Not only is she depleting your valuable supply of stock (at cost),  but now when you get low you have to reorder. A real time killer.

Next time she comes in write down a number and tell her to order her own supplies. Only problem is, at least with the company I order from, they only sell to REAL businesses. But not your problem.

Btw I wouldn't call her your competition. Shes charging cut rate prices and doing cut rate work. Her customers are only concerned about price. When she starts raising her prices they'll find some other schlep to do their work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I know 4 local upholsters.   Three of four would fail that test.

Quote from: sofadoc on August 21, 2014, 09:57:31 am

He said that when he gets a request for a new account, the first thing he does is look up the address on Google Earth. If it looks like they are working from a run-down home, or they live way out in the boondocks, he blows them off. He does this against his boss's orders (who doesn't want them ruling out possible new accounts because of Google Earth).

Keith

Mojo

Dennis:

Your too damn nice and always willing to help someone. Unfortunately there are people like this woman who will take advantage of someone like you.

Stop the train and kick the mooch off.

Chris

bobbin

I'll sell "supplies" to anyone.  But for full retail (and taxes) and only for cash (I give receipts).  I have worked hard to establish "to the trade" credit and I'll be damned if I'll take pity on some wannabe and pass along what it took me so much effort to establish!

If they want to be "professional" they need to get licenses, tax numbers, and SERIOUS. 

That said, I routinely "buddy up" with other local "little guys" on orders to suppliers.  If we combine orders we can often get discounts and save on shipping.  That said, we not only know but like and respect each other. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on August 21, 2014, 11:01:03 am
That said, I routinely "buddy up" with other local "little guys" on orders to suppliers.  If we combine orders we can often get discounts and save on shipping.
That's a great idea. I've tried it around here. But me and the other shops can never find an arrangement that is mutually beneficial to both of us.

Me and the other furniture upholstery shop in town get our foam from the same delivery truck. But while I get 6 sheets of foam at a time, he gets his foam by the piece (like 24" X 24"). I buy staples by the case, he get his by the box.........and so on. It ends up with him just buying his supplies from me, just like the Hispanic lady. So I avoid the subject when I see him.

On the other hand, there are 2 factories. One makes baby crib bedding. The other manufactures church pews. I have a great relationship with both of them, as they sub out small jobs to me.

I have approached them about "piggybacking" on their foam/batting orders. But I can't buy enough to supplement their order, so they have no incentive.