Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 06:54:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Economy....

Started by Mojo, January 21, 2014, 05:17:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was just reading where Mike is booked out two months and also has a couple big orders. I was just wondering if others around the country have seen the same thing. Are your customers spending more on projects/jobs ?

I am booked up as well ( not two months ) but am very steady. I am about 2 weeks out but the thing that has surprised me are the number of large orders. Last year I did alot of single toppers for big quad slide coaches. This year owners are letting loose of their wallets and are doing all four slides. I have gotten back to back big orders and the owners are having me replace all of their fabric ( slides, windows, door awnings, etc. ).

Evidently peoples pensions or 401 K's are healthy. Either that or people just feel better about the economy. But either way they seem to be back in the game spending money.

Are the rest of you seeing the same thing in your shops ?

Chris

baileyuph

Chris,

The economy isn't easy to figure out, it is a broader question than us small little shops.  Recently, reported economic data will say it both ways because it is highly dependent on data sampling and numbers used.  But, at the small level, which includes me; been busy all during the recession but not doing the same products and/or services.  This suggest what one would expect because things change, the only constant is "change"; it constantly changes.

Glad you are also busy,

Doyle

jojo

Chris, I am about 200% busier now than I was at this time last year.

Mike

when I was in NH along with my cnvas business I had a small bait shop which was a great cash flow business for 19 years I saw business fishing going down and down less fishermen as time went on u saw few guys on the bridge and dock out back. also I was growing in my canvas word of mouth and learning to do better work. but in 2004 I moved to florida and after I got here the becony started to tank and a number of boat dealers went out of business , I heard it was similar back in
nh and the boating traffic on the lake was way down . and as seen on some popular webcams it was . 
I think I was lucky to have made the move when I did . one of my last years uop north I was strapped coming out of the winter and a friend dealer dug some work for me out of the snow to get going early for me. well after I moved I got a crash course to florida patterning after hurricane charly came right up . charlotte harbor . I got in with the nations largest dealer and they had some big canvas jobs that blew away and also a few small delers fishing boats and I always worried about loosing them. well they all started falling and for about 2 years they were all gone till last fall one moved back. I wobder how I would have been had I stayed up north? anyway chriss I got 2 off the list last week 9 jobs on the book still and probably 6 weeks out