Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 01:48:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customer Service

Started by Mojo, August 26, 2013, 06:36:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I rarely see anything mentioned about this on here but wanted to touch on it just to see how everyone handles their own customer service.

I am a stickler about maintaining good customer service and relations. I treat all of my customers the way I would want to be treated and go the extra mile to make sure I deliver not only a good product but also a good buying experience. I could have the worlds greatest widget but if my customer relations skills suck, I will still fail.

A very successful CEO once said: "it costs much more to gain a customer then to retain one ". And this is very true. Pissing off one customer can result in ten potential customers ( friends of theirs ) going elsewhere based on that one sales experience. What the CEO meant is that it takes a lot of time, money and energy to gain market share but takes little to gain market share through referrals based on good customer service. A referral is like doubling down at the craps table and hitting the mark.

A perfect example is a PITA customer I had. He was tough to deal with, was demanding and the entire sale was stressful. I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle this guy. But I hung in there, smiled, went over board on my pleasantries and treated the guy like a king. I was shocked when this customer, a few months ago went on to a motorcoach owners forum and touted the hell out of my product and service. Because he was well known on the forum his words carried weight. Bang........ My e-mail inbox started getting hot with orders and he inadvertently sent me thousands of dollars in sales. No advertising, no rallys, no marketing materials were involved. Just good ole customer service.

At the time I couldn't figure out why business was booming at that moment and after doing some investigating found that several of my customers were praising my service and product around the internet on various forums. I remembered several of them and can remember going the extra mile to make sure I took good care of them during the sales process and afterwards. Obviously it was appreciated.

I guess my point here is never overlook customer service as a way to increase sales. Never discount a customer based on them being a royal PITA. I personally wanted to douse this demanding customers rear end with kerosene and light a match. But instead I grit my teeth and showered him with exceptional customer service. It paid off big time.

This all falls back to the old saying " Be careful of how you treat customers. The person you piss off today maybe the same ass you wished you would have kissed ".

Chris

sofadoc

I've mentioned this before. But another instance happened again last week.

I sometimes hear feedback from friends of friends about how customers perceive me.

While some (most) find me "easy going", others perceive that same demeanor as "aloof".
I had a customer last week tell my wife "I don't think that he wanted me there".  Another told my daughter "I don't think he likes me".

The reason why I sometimes give off these impressions, is that during the course of a work day when customers come in my shop, I'm usually working hard, and my feet (Plantar fascitis) are killing me. I'm just not in the mood to stand around and engage in a lot of unnecessary "chit-chat". Some people want to tell me the long drawn-out history of their furniture. Frankly, when my feet hurt, I don't care if the chair came over on the Mayflower.

So to respond to Mojo's point. If customers come into my shop expecting a lot of schmoozing and ass-kissing, they're probably going to be disappointed. I'm not unfriendly at all, but I do use a certain inflection in my voice that conveys the message "Let's keep this short and sweet".

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I agree with MoJo - customers are so very important - and sofadoc like most here I'm sure aren't into kissing backsides.  That's for your salesman of office helper if you have either. 
I do better with folks who tell me what they want and just go away no talking :>)
SA

Mojo

I noticed that same inflection over the phone with you Dennis. I just chalked it up to someone who cannot pour piss from a boot. That and being from Texas. :) Actually I just finished an order from an old boy down in Texas. The guy about drove me nuts calling and e-mailing me constantly. He loved to talk. I gave him your number and told him you were lonely. :)

All kidding aside some people have the charisma and personality to turn water into ice. Others like myself can charm the customers. We are all created different and everyone of us have skill sets that are different from others.

My daughter runs a high end hair salon. She has clients that fly in every few months to have her do their hair. While she is an amazing stylist she has something that brings the customers back - an outgoing personality. Her clients love her. She has always been a people person since she was a kid.

My son on the other hand is the opposite. 6'3, 285 lbs, quiet with an intimidating personality. While he is pleasant and works well with his customers, he has a demeanor that reflects " one cross word and I will rip your head off ". He is a bit more quiet and reserved.

I am glad I do not have a store front like you Dennis. I would never get any work done. I love talking to people, hearing their stories, finding out what they do for a living, etc. People just peek my curiosity and make me want to interact.

Then again as I get older I find myself with this attitude - " The more I know about people........the more I love my dogs ". :)

I wouldn't let it bother you. Your skill set is in upholstery and your work is of the highest quality.
Your a master at your trade. You could be like me..........A people person that could charm the pant's off Andie McDowell but lacks in upholstery skills. :)

Ever thought of maybe having your wife or daughter deal with the customers ?  :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on August 26, 2013, 08:21:55 am
Ever thought of maybe having your wife or daughter deal with the customers ?
My wife and daughters all have full-time careers of their own. They have ZERO interest in the upholstery business.

If you were to walk into the bank where my wife is a loan officer, I promise you, by the time she got through with you, you'd have a new checking acct., savings acct., and a refinanced home and car loan. And this is even if you just came in to use the restroom. It happens all the time, where people come in mad as hell because the bank bounced one of their checks.They have full intentions of closing their account. When she gets done with them, not only do they NOT close their account, they open 2 or 3 more.

She definitely has the talent to talk someone into something that they don't want, or even need. With all her bonuses, if she were to become branch manager, it would involve a cut in pay.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

August 26, 2013, 07:38:07 pm #5 Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:43:41 pm by DB
Customer service is almost equal to job performance, doing the job at hand that is.  Compartmentalizing so to speak, it is separate from direct sales or marketing as has been discussed recently.  

Needless to say it is an important aspect of the job, therefore should be done very well, timely, and in an accommodating or obliging manner.  Relationships while performing should be professional, timely, and effective.

Job performance in that sense, will likely promote more business with existing customers and definitely attract referrals.

In a word, do your work well and impress customers  they are a pleasure to serve.

All the skills of interacting with people, the skills of performing the job, and work attitude displayed will obviously encourage good things to happen for your business.  Actually, it makes the day go better for the workers also.

Issues discussed such as efficiency, understanding different technologies, and other dimensions of a business are prepatory to administering good customer service.  Customers can percieve professionalism with competentcy through your job performance.

Last and definitely not least, learn how to pour whatever out of the boot!!!

Doyle

Mike

I always try to do right buy the customers somtimes im just too hot or tired too
A couple come to mind   The first was a full set of tops on a large pontoon boat. When i bend crame theres a certian amount of spring tentio. In the frames where the frame needs to be pulled in to miunt on the boat. The guy loved the tops and paid me but then after removing the top to do some work asked me to rebend the radiuses to removed somt tention. I never did becore but agreed and i did. After doing this and deleverei g the top back to his boat the canvas was now baggy where it was nice and tight before i did relize at first why the the tention was pushing the frames up making the canvas tight now it was loose. And he got irate with a real ney jersy attitude. I almost walk away.
It wasnt my fault. But i remade bolth top bit my tounge and said no problem.   I made him satisfied i dont think this guy could be happy now and dont expect any refersl crom him.
The se ond guy a former ceo of a mAjor  oils co.
I have done a few. Oat for him in the past. He called about a month ago. Right when inwas verry busy finnishin that large hatterass project. Well he had a simple reauest needing roll up strap to holl up his windows on. His new motoryacht. Can i come look at it as he was leaving on a boat trip in a few day. I figure easy ok ill be over after work.  I get there and told him thT he has what he wants just they are folded and he did t see them. Maybe he felt stupid   nd asked if i could add smiley zippers aon a few window that had none. Ok id be back monday to get them well i got a call that bis motor bad trouble and he wouldnt be taking the boat anywhere but he was leaving wensday on a trip. I said well sence theres no rush i could finnish my current job and have the smiles done for him before he gets back to use the boat.  He said ok bu then called later to say he found sombody who could get riight on it. Ok sorry i could t help.   Some people
Its all a out them. I had a guy stroke me today called for a pcover price ok see you at 1130. Called mack he couldnt make it bow a out 130. Ok. Get there price is good  how about references to call.  So i get back to my office and call some nMes to see if bei g called was om. So i give him a few last customers. I get a call agIn he was to go.  And told me my best refersl was the dealer he called that gave him my number. So you never know where your next job will come from.

Toledo Mach. Sales

I've noticed this in the past too. It really pays to just bit your tongue & try to please someone than to get upset with them,it just isn't worth it to me & I've had the same thing happen to me that Chris is talking about & end up with more customers because I've kept my cool.

Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

Bob:

If you can deal with me as your customer you can deal with anyone. :)

After meeting Ingrid I am sure you can easily say she is the better half. :)

Chris

SteveA

Quote from: DB on August 26, 2013, 07:38:07 pm
Customer service is almost equal to job performance,

I can't agree with that.  I'd like to think that a customer is coming back because of your good work not people skills.  When you are over friendly with customers it always turns out to bite you. However I'm on my best behavior when I'm in the supply house - they take care of me, and don't ask for favors -
Customers don't always understand the difficulties of labor. You can't be friendly and than be the voice of reason. Like a teacher - if you're too nice - no one benefits or learns
SA

baileyuph

Steve as I read your post and reread mine, there is no difference in our post and philosophy.  I defined mine as to what I do to get their products right not throwing out a bunch of kiss rear stuff.

Reread!  We espoused the same philosophy but a little differently, no big deal.

Doyle

SteveA

Hey Doyle,
I re-read post 6 and do see it a little differently .... agreed we're on the same path.  Your wise in saying people skills can make a tremendous difference, and for many companies - it does.  Companies whose purchaser plays golf with his client, understands their life difficulties,  sends NFL tickets, baskets for holidays, cash, etc. ....... no question - they do a phenomenal business because of that all important relationship.  What I'm saying from the position of the laborer - sure others make the big bucks but when they need actual work done they call me.  The sign over my door says "Service".... and I'd like to think that's why they come.  I can't do both (work + schmooze)  but if I had a sales person it wouldn't be all that bad.
SA