Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 10:19:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Decorative nail trim strips

Started by Upholstery Clinic, January 08, 2014, 01:00:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Upholstery Clinic

Does anyone have any experience with using the decorative nail trim strips.  I have never used them before and am wondering how they look compared to using the nails exclusively?  I am bidding on a job on doing 32 leather upholstered captains chairs that currently have approximately 530 nails per chair.  The customer wants it bid with a minimum amount of nails being used and doing it the exact same way it is currently upholstered with all the nails.  Not looking forward to installing 17,000 nails, and I am sure they will be surprised by how much labor this is going to add.  Because of this I was wondering about the nail trim strips if they are a viable alternative or if they make the job look cheap or second rate?

Jim

sofadoc

Quote from: Upholstery Clinic on January 08, 2014, 01:00:56 pm
......I was wondering about the nail trim strips if they are a viable alternative or if they make the job look cheap or second rate?
The short answer is......yes (they make the job look cheap or second rate).

However, if budget is a concern, they are a viable alternative. I use them on low-budget jobs all the time. I don't recall a customer ever even noticing.

If these chairs are going to be in a high-traffic setting, I would advise against nail trim. It doesn't always stand up to abuse. The finish wears off the "fake" heads easily. And the trim is prone to loosen up over time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I don't like them because they look like decorative nail trim strips, instead of decorative nails. If they are only around the bottom, that's not so bad. If they come up the chair I find the strips to be unattractive.

Take a look at the ad on this forum for a decorative nail gun and do a search on this forum. This was talked about not too long ago.

I certainly would not want to put in that many decorative tacks by hand.

In working out my Estimate, for the cost of decorative nails, I would include the cost of the special nails you need for that gun, and add to it the cost of the gun.

good luck,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Upholstery Clinic

Thanks for the input Gene and Sofadoc.  From what you say using the strips are out of the question.  The facility is one of the top country clubs in the area, and if it does not look good it is not an option.  Did not even think about the gun to shoot the nails.  I will look into that.  Thanks again.

Jim

MinUph

You might also consider a half head spacing between nails. Cuts the amount down considerably and looks good. Strips are for cheap furniture where the customer wouldn't know the difference. Terrible looking unless it is in a high pile fabric that hides the connections.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Upholstery Clinic

I emailed the quote today to the facility giving them 2 prices, one with the 500+ nails and one with about 130 nails per chair.  The job is large enough that it is not a problem figuring in the price for the Uffy decorative nail gun if they go with the higher quote for the 500+ nails.  I read that there can be a problem with the nail heads scratching, but I figure if I use an oxford head it should cut down on this.  If I end up buying one of these guns, I will let you know how it works.

Jim 

baileyuph

Jim,

The subject of buying an automatic tack installation gun came up a while ago and if I
remember correctly, there was some good advice contributed by Dennis (Sofadoc) regarding advantages and disadvantages of guns available.  See if you can search thos previous post regarding this subject.  Or possibly Dennis will be able to help with what I am referring to.

The volume you have potentially would definitely make me buy one of the automated guns, that would be a ton of manual work.

Doyle

sofadoc

I don't remember where that topic is. But the main bullet points in the discussion about the Uffy gun were:

CON:
1) Difficult to control......takes some "getting used to".
2) Scratches the nailheads (but as you say, Oxfords won't be a problem).
3) Requires a high output air compressor (at least 6.72 SCFM)

PRO:
1) Uses standard nails (more expensive models require special nails).
2) Less expensive than other models.

If you decide to get the Uffy Nail Gun, please DO give us plenty of feedback.
They have it for $550 here:
http://www.kingrichardco.com/THTDECO1/Default.htm
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

January 10, 2014, 06:04:44 pm #8 Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:07:04 pm by kodydog
Many years ago a salesman talked me into buying a roll. His pitch was quick, easy and looked like the real thing. Like Paul said this stuff is for cheep furniture. After about 5 minutes of using it I ripped it off and threw it all in the trash. If you want a reputation of an high quality shop stay away from the decorative nail trim strips.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Upholstery Clinic

The job was approved.  They want me to do one chair with the 130 nails and see if they like the look.  If not, then we will be installing 500+ nails in the 32 chairs and I will be buying the gun.  If I do I will let you know how it works.

Jim