Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:30:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Batten Down the Hatches Bobbin

Started by Mojo, August 26, 2011, 06:40:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Well o hope all goese well for all of tou on the eastcoast new said a man was killed from a falling tree
far from the coast also.
Ingres up as a kid in CA and saw a few quakes also as a kid I didn't know enough to be scared

Allan

August 28, 2011, 02:22:34 am #16 Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:22:58 am by Allan
Our thoughts are with those affected by Irene
Stay safe

From downunder

Allan

Darren Henry

QuoteOur thoughts are with those affected by Irene
Stay safe

From downunder

And from up in the great white Noirth.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

needles eye

August 28, 2011, 08:27:06 am #18 Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:11:35 am by needles eye
Yar i was a 14 year old kid growing up in Darwin Northern Territory when cyclone tracy hit Xmas 1974.
evacuated several days later by QANTAS
our house was levelled at the upstairs  floorboards
the rest blew away
we survived in the station wagon under the house, tropical style house was on stilts
strewth
what a disaster
was really pizzed orf that my new electronics kit had just blown away with my other presents, tree, and everything else gone and destroyed around the joint
took years to rebuild Darwin eh.
Actually think  Slim Dusty wrote a song about it all too.
Hey remember Bob Dylan"s song blownin' in the wind?
Yo, he's survived eh? Havya seen his latest song "Things have changed"?
You can get the guitar tabs for it, seems it's mainly in G minor and C 7 bar chords. Fantastic vid clip!! 60+ and still ragin". Hey, you could check it out on you tube sometime when the wind stops blowin' maybe.

Anyway, loosen up. Best advice recollected from that particular time, about the time of cyclone tracy, is to shelter around the bathroom / tiolet/ laundry door areas, that is, where there is a lot of plumbing works holding the frame of the house together.  We sheltered in the bathroom most of the time being before the eye of the cyclone came over, then we scuttled downstairs and all hid in the family car. Lucky!! Think the wind settled down for about ten  minutes. It was real eery like. And sorta like a bombsite. Then it picked up and the car was buffetting around the joint with crap flying into it and tumbling about the place. Wow, saw my bedroom wall blow away before me, a tree fell through the roof heapsa lighting strikes yowza, stuff whistling down the road away at a staggering rate of knots beforehand too!! Crazy! Trust that you don't get to see it! The wind really shrieked. With big mobs of bangs and clatters. My parents and us 4 kids, me the oldest, survived in that old station wagon. Lucky it had lots of steel and was pretty heavy!  When we moved back, about a year later, then lived in a house that looked more like a bomb shelter! No more stilts, they kinda went out of fashion.

ex consequenti, "by way of consequence": from out West.
Hope all works out well for you Yanks hailing from New York anyway.
Stay cool.

scottymc

Seen that you dodged it on the news this morning, or was that just New York, I assume everything went alright as the news is not jumping all over it.

Needles, it was the Hoodogurushttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwBUk7RoRdE

Mike8560

although a big windfield it looks like it turned into a big rain event  the flooding
needles sounds like  you've been there 
This was a station just down the road from my house in 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkMwo26smk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

needles eye

yo
thank God and thank the uni-verse all is ok for the yonkers and that things have winded wound up

wow how was that gas station being blown apart!
Those crazy storm chasers sure like living on the edge! yikes

thanks scotty that song wasn't quite what i was thinkin' of,
like dave faulkner's pants 'though...
the bloke sure has talent
and, you gotta real good collection of australiana youtubes up your sleeve mate

here's bob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKTDSHrqqY

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bob_dylan/things_have_changed_crd.htm

stay cool after school

Mike8560

Quote from: needles eye on August 28, 2011, 05:52:23 pm
yo

wow how was that gas station being blown apart!

here's bob:
stay cool after school
145 mph winds

needles eye

145 mph winds

that's nature riled up

crikey, did your boat turn into an aeroplane? or submarine?
ya house was ok?

mike802

We had a lot of flooding in Vermont, not much wind.  My town was lucky and the flooding was minor, in some towns people were evacuated due to the high water. Lots and lots of bridges out, some people stranded because of washed out roads.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

Bet it's a long way "out of your way" to get around washed out bridges, huh?

"The long way" to my house is a lot longer and I remember how inconvenient it was when an important bridge was washed away some years ago.  It was a drag. 

Darren Henry

QuoteBet it's a long way "out of your way" to get around washed out bridges, huh?

Rodger that! We had some flooding here in the spring and while the city of Brandon did well when the Assiniboine river breached, alot of outlying areas (especially the Souris river valley south of us 30 miles) were hit with alot of road closures and washed out bridges.This being prairie farmland there is only a gravel road  every couple of miles if your off the main highways.One particular bridge that washed out meant that farmers with land on both river banks (and Mikes boat would not fit sideways on that river) had a 3 hour trip to feed their cattle even though they could read their brands from the other side. There are a number of people who live in one small community and work in the one "just up the road" or the armed forces base who went from a 10 minute commute to over an hour.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

I've got 3 bridges to leave my home
I've sold the big boat Darren just have a small one now
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/seacraft/ce31a258.jpg

scarab29

Well thank God the winds slowed by the time it got here. Rain was pretty bad and flooding everywhere specially at high tide . A few trees down and some places still without power today but getting back online. Could have been a lot worse , tidal flooding was like 1.5 feet less than our 92 storm here that everyone remembers. Tornado landed in the midst of all this a mile from my place but did'nt get me !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

Okay; that one you could turn on the souris and even wind her up on the Assiniboine LOL