Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 07:58:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Got a job.. 1975 Boston Whaler Sakonnet

Started by Lmc530, September 09, 2011, 08:05:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lmc530

New shop.. New job.... Need advice...

I have a 1975 Boston Whaler Sakonnet ... owner wanting a cockpit cover.. This has a wooden center console...

Looking for advice.. first time with a center console like this.. At least owner is in no rush.. So I can take my time... :o

Mike8560

September 09, 2011, 09:50:31 am #2 Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:55:46 am by Mike8560
 never did one but here is a newer smaller whaler I'd make it like this one that I did  
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/covers/MVC-487S.jpg
I patterned the top 2 sixes and the section over the handrail

I used seam tape to bold the plastic pattern and marked my seams with a marker  make reference marks on all tour pieces and cut and sew  
Reinforce e over the console and all rub points  at least two support pokes and strap around the base and straps to hold it down also if on a trailer

Oh ya anytime s owner says no rush  they generwly want a cheap price. And then in two weeks there in a rush

Lmc530

Yes Mike.. that's it..

Thank you for the advice..  It's much appreciated...

Actually.. the owner isnt in a rush and knows this is a start-up... we just had hurricane Irene go thru here.. lots of folks pulled their boats..

Mike8560

September 09, 2011, 02:31:46 pm #4 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:05:02 pm by Mike8560
A cover like that I find easier to pattern.   try to pattern with a blank and have alot of darts I think it looks better without darts   
Good  time to start up after irene.   I moved to florida 7 years ago and had hurricane charley a cat 4 come right in my harbor.  There was tons of work.

Lmc530

Did you attach the straps using grommets?  And what kind of straps did you use Mike?

Mike8560

No snaps just strap of 1" webbing with adjustable buckles down to the trailer. A d a adjustable strap Nd buckle  at the base of the cover.

JuneC

It's a lot of work, but IMHO it spares the cover to attach the strap to a triangular patch that's sewn onto the cover.  It spreads the load across a wider area so there's less chance of a rip-out.  Believe Mike does it this way as well.  This pic shows the underside of a patch, lined with ShelterRite vinyl (truck tarp material).  Instead of D-rings for adjustment, you could go with the side-release buckles like they use on kids' backpacks.  D rings work well if they want to use rubber bungees with hooks on either end.   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

those triangles look really neat June, I fold the edges in on mine
but might try it your way, they look so much better.

Rich

Lmc530

Wow.. Thanks June!!  I really am appreciative of all the feedback i've received..

Mike8560

As younsaid June if younwant to use bungy straps with hook i learned  a way to make triangle with a gromet for the hooks you started with a rectangle folded half of it Into a triangle installed a gromett   
The half with rhe gromett is sewn on so it is away from the hull when the hook is in the gromett the backside of the triangle with is two layers of tarp material protect the hull from the hook

JuneC

That's an excellent idea Mike!  I've sometimes made a flap underneath to protect the hull, but your method is way faster. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields