Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 01:12:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Any of you ever try Q-Bond adhesive?

Started by TheHogRing, February 09, 2012, 10:09:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

I was installing a convertible top on an older Porsche when I noticed that its plastic guide pin was cracked. In fact, the tip was barely hanging on. After an exhaustive search to find a replacement part turned up nothing, I headed to a local body-supply shop to find an adhesive strong enough to fix a part that's going to take a lot of abuse.

The salesman recommended Q-Bond - which, as it turns out, saved my hide.

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/775cu4b

JuneC

I've never tried Q-bond, but you need to look into Weld-On for really tough adhesive jobs.  There's a Weld-On formula for just about anything (to anything).  I've had boat hatch manufacturers tell me that the hatch dog (the lever handle that is glued to the Lexan and you turn it to keep the hatch from opening) has to be sonic welded to the hatch, and the correct Weld-On adhesive will vulcanize the two surfaces.  You typically have to go to a specialty plastics mfr to get the product (not at Home Depot) but it works like nothing else.  You have to know what it is you're joining, but it's an unbelievable product set. 

http://www.ipscorp.com/pdf/weldon/WeldOn_Product_Guide_Mar11.pdf

Amazing stuff it is...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I get very leery of any glue's down here in Florida. It seems the Florida sun can take even the best of glues and soften them. That is why I no longer use adhesive type velcro. I used it once on solar screens and that summer the sun melted the glue into a liquid and it ran right down the solar screen.

I am sure the stuff you talk about June would be fine but some glues, while excellent in other parts of the USA are completely useless in Florida. It must be because we are closer to the equator or something but the sun down here is horribly hot.

Chris

TheHogRing

Thanks for the tip June, I'll definitely look into Weld-On! It sounds mighty impressive.

Mojo, I guess it's all about knowing your environment. In your case, it probably makes more sense to order a whole new part (if you can) than using an adhesive. Fortunately, it doesn't get as hot as Florida up here in Philadelphia.

Mojo

I am always amazed at the differences of materials that so,me use and those we use down here. I have had to rely on Mike and June to guide me with some materials and when it comes to fabrics I rely heavily on MiamiMike to steer me in the right direction.

With some materials that work great in other locations we can use the same thing here and it wont last 6 months. The sun, is hot as hell down here and the UV ray index is miserable. Combine that with our high humidity and ocean air and you have a complete different set of circumstances and requirements.

:)

Chris