Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 08:42:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Great State Race

Started by byhammerandhand, November 30, 2015, 05:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Hello friends from far and wide

My eldest granddaughter (fifth grade) moved this summer and started a new school.  Her class is doing "The Great State Race" and she needs to collect postcards from as many states as possible! There are a few rules: 1) postcards must be mailed to her from the state,
2) postcards must contain one social studies fact (climate, landforms, landmarks, etc) about the state they came from (can be hand-written on the back).
3) if you are traveling you MAY send her postcards from multiple states. She says "please and thank you for the help"!

Message me if you need her address
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

How much time do we have. Also I challenge all the regulars and all cards should be posted here before sent.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

It can't be GREAT State Race without one from Texas (since Texas is the only "great" state).

PM the address if you need one from Texas.

Geez, I don't remember the last time I even saw a post card rack around here (Greenville,Texas isn't exactly a tourist's mecca). But I'll try to find one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Do they cover any Canadian geography/history etc... in her school?

Winnie's still in Arizona for a few more days and I'll be talking to her tomorrow night (I think). I'll see what I can do to get her one from there if you send me the info.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I'll be glad to mail a post card from Ohio. Address please.

For a social studies fact I was going to write "Social studies is boring."  :)  But then I continued reading and you want a fact about the state from which the post card is mailed.

How about "Ohio is the only state that is high in the middle and has nothing on both ends"? And to think that Ohio recently voted down legalization of marijuana.

Hey, on a related note, and I may have posted this before, and if so, you are welcome to laugh again: Why did the cows return to the marijuana field? Because is was a case of the pot calling the cattle back.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on November 30, 2015, 06:00:58 pm
............I challenge all the regulars and all cards should be posted here before sent.

Well, that leaves ME out.

I haven't been "regular" in years. Probably not enough roughage in my diet.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Nebraska is truly "God's Country" ... I'm happy to send a postcard containing a fun factoid from our state (will not mention anything about a crappy 5-7 regular season --- hold's nose).

Just let me know where to send it to and when she needs to receive it by.

Virginia

byhammerandhand

Maybe it should be "The Great Race of States"  (on second thought, that might be misunderstood, too.)

I was in Kentucky yesterday and stopped at a Walgreen's.  No cards.  They referred me to a little pharmacy across the street that had a whole rack of Kentucky and Cincinnati post cards.  Picked up one on Ft. Knox and another on Cincinnati Procter & Gamble Towers.

Quote from: sofadoc on November 30, 2015, 06:20:27 pm
It can't be GREAT State Race without one from Texas (since Texas is the only "great" state).

PM the address if you need one from Texas.

Geez, I don't remember the last time I even saw a post card rack around here (Greenville,Texas isn't exactly a tourist's mecca). But I'll try to find one.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I went to Walgreens and CVS yesterday. The little twits there had never even heard of post cards. My local post office doesn't even sell generic blank ones.

I finally found one at a Hallmark store. They had exactly ONE to choose from.

Per K-dogs orders, here it is:

When I travel to tourist's destinations, those souvenir post card racks are everywhere.

BTW Hammer, tell Ava that I'm only kidding about the armadillo being the state bird of Texas

byhammerandhand

December 02, 2015, 09:57:46 am #9 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:05:52 am by byhammerandhand
Thanks, Dennis.  I always thought armadillo was the official Texas State Roadkill?

I live in a fairly suburban area.  I think demographically it's called, "upscale middle class"   Around the corner is the rich part of town where the big estates are.    While leaving this morning, a coyote went running across the road.  I knew they were around but that's the first I have seen in daylight.
Keith

Darren Henry

QuoteWhile leaving this morning, a coyote went running across the road

I saw one this summer right in the centre of Brandon. I live on first st. which bisects the city N-S near Princess Ave which is the centre of the " Down town" business section starting over around 6 th. It's totally single density residential from here to there.The co-worker I catch a ride with is on fourth near Princess. We were just coming out of his house when we saw something run by beside his house.We looked at each other like " did I just see--" we went out and sure enough his fence had turned the coyote back and it raced back across the street and headed for my place.

I'm used to the deer and black bears roaming the streets of Kenora ---but that was unexpected here.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I mailed mine today. I made the post card. No one said it had to be store bought. I hope I didn't break the rules. If she's like Keith she's pulling all A's. I'd hate to be the cause of her first B.

Last summer I saw the most beautiful coyote that I've ever seen walking across the street from my studio. He had a beautiful fur coat. We have a big cat population in my area which is why we also have a coyote population.

gene

gene

As I'm sitting here wondering if my post card will fit the bill, I've got to ask: What does an armadillo have to do with social studies?

gene

byhammerandhand

Natural resource?    Them thing's good eating if you cut out the sweat gland*

* a former co-worker from West Virginia once said this about groundhog.  Presumably, was not roadkill.
Keith

Darren Henry

Just got off the horn with the GF winnie(fred) . Apparently post cards are in season in Arizona, so she will try to get one off to Ava soon. She and here sister are going shopping tomorrow. I'm in the same boat as Dennis ,but not as computer savvy as gene, but will do my best Saturday while I'm out to find one for her scrap book. Who knows, it could be a tie breaker---" Yeah, well I've got ??  ones from other countries!!" tongue.