Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 03:36:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

new job next week

Started by fragged8, June 04, 2013, 02:04:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya Peeps

I have to cover these next week and haven't done a bucket seat for about 2 years !!  it is seamed on the inside and outside of the arm but i want to do it without a seam. Any advice would be appreciated.
What i plan on doing is making a baggy pattern on the inside of the arm, lay on the pattern material and staple up the baggy bit where the seam would usually fall then transfer this to the vinyl.
I know it works doing it that way because thats how i was taught but does anyone else do it that way ?

Rich

Peppy

I don't really understand what you mean Rich. So I guess I don't use the baggy pattern method. When I pattern something I cut pattern material to finished size of each individual piece of vinyl. I pin it to the foam with staples and build the entire seat out of pattern material at the same time. The I can work both sides of the seam as I see fit. Then I mark all the reference marks, lay the pattern pieces on the vinyl and add for sewing.

On a seat like that I think you'll need a seam at least on the inside arm. Otherwise you'll need a border running down the top of the arm and the one piece inside arm and one piece outside back. You'll need to do something to allow the inside arm to curve around the top of the arm to meet the outside back.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

JuneC

I think that would work, Rich.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but what he's talking about doing Peppy, is use a soft patterning material, lay it on the arm, and using a stapler, essentially pull in the excess here and there where it appears and staple in "darts".  Then, with this non-flat piece of pattern, attempt to lay it on the vinyl and cut. 

Rich, if you can get the pattern close to flat, it should work.  Many of us, I'm sure, have used old vinyl as a guide and template and it's never flat after having been installed and used on a seat for 3 or 4 years.   I also assume the seams you want to get rid of are the two vertical seams that would hit right at your elbow when sitting on the seat.  I don't think you can eliminate the lateral seam that run from "shoulder to fingertips". 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

the seam seems to be there because of the shape , but as june said I would try getting as pattern from the pice without opeing that seam perhaps with more tugging and streaching you can do it why do you want the seam gone? at the customer request?

Peppy

Gotcha. Didn't get it this mornin before the coffee. Wait, I still don't get it. You're making a pattern that doesn't lay flat and then trying to make flat vinyl "schwang" without seaming it?

I think if you don't want that seam on the inside arm you'll need two seams 'shoulder to elbow' as June says. You could try this- pattern on top of the upholstered seat to finish size, add a 1/4" seam allowance on your vinyl, sew a 1/2" seam and add 1/4" or 1/2" foam to the seat before you upholster it. (Strip the seat in the mean while) I've done that before with some success.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering