Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 12:39:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

June!

Started by Mike8560, January 18, 2011, 08:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I had ro pattern a outboard today and didn't have any patter plastic
so I went to gone depot as you say you do and found this 6 mill transparent plastic.
Is this wwaht you buy it seemed prety good to me on the small pattern seems prety stable also for a larger pattern. The only thing was it wasn't clear like the box said.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-79.jpg
over all it seemed go so far and it was only 59 bucks for a 10 x 100 roll
I did the pontoons co er yesterday patterning with the blank it's done but I'll bring it back with the finnished motor cover and get paid. At once that's the plan anyway.

regalman190

Hey Mike.

That's the 6 mil poly I use (from Home Depot). It works great. The one I buy is clear....not perfectly clear, but clear enough that I can see through to marks on my frames.

Regal Canvas

JuneC

Yeah, that's the stuff.  Like Regal says, it's a little milky but clear enough.  My biggest gripe with it is that tape doesn't want to stick to it.  I think they coat it with some sort of powder when they fold and pack it to prevent it from getting tacky and sticking all together.  Unfortunately it makes tape hard to stick - at least the blue stuff (and I don't like to use regular tape on gelcoat or paint).

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Mike:

When your done with the outboard cover can you please post a couple pics ? I just got an order to do one and I am unsure as to how to make one.

These people up here are trying like heck to drag me into Marine work. I still cannot believe I agreed to do  work on a dang marine vessel. .............LOL. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on January 18, 2011, 04:34:04 pm
Mike:

When your done with the outboard cover can you please post a couple pics ? I just got an order to do one and I am unsure as to how to make one.

These people up here are trying like heck to drag me into Marine work. I still cannot believe I agreed to do  work on a dang marine vessel. .............LOL. :)

Chris
chriss i will but here are a few ive got now. on a vover ill have the
front and generally
2 or 3 pieces for the sides ill have seams where each  flat planes of each piece will be needed the tip and front then on most yamahas of  neser models 3 pieces that wrap around the motor from top to botttom.
with a zipper n the fron back  up so the zipper isnt touching the paint

for most newer motor figure a 3 yards of 60" and ill get $110 i try not to jst get a motor cover and do one in additiopn to more work

Mike8560

Quote from: JuneC on January 18, 2011, 03:45:31 pm
I think they coat it with some sort of powder when they fold and pack it to prevent it from getting tacky and sticking all together.  Unfortunately it makes tape hard to stick - at least the blue stuff (and I don't like to use regular tape on gelcoat or paint).

June
if i plastic pattern on the boat ill start with low tack blue tape then put two sids seam ape on top of that then stick my plastic onto the seam tape then platic is tapes to itself with seamtape making a seam line do you have trouble with the plastic sticking to seam tape or just the ble tape sticking to it?
ill use sticky shrinksrap tape itf i have to tape it better somtime like to fix a goof up vut in the plastic somthing i dont want to come apart oh if its windy somtimes ill tape it down the plastic fro blowing,

Peppy

Real nice Mike! How many staples do you put in those? Or do you use glue?

We make our motor covers WAY sloppier. I trace the profile of the motor head on paper to make 2 face pieces (plates I guess) then measure the width of the motor for a border (boxing?) then a bunji around the bottom. Semi-fitted I call it.  I've had complaints I made them to small and they were to hard to get on. You say sloppy, I say coming right up!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Thanks peppy
no bungie on theese they just slip down over the motor then the zipper
like a driving glove tightens up the skinnier bottom and holds it on rather.
About fhenopyness I've had some say my covers are to tight for there feeble hands after I put it on.  And then other says it's to loose and want it tighter.  I regards to angthing if I make a front window nice fit and snug no wrinkles they say they can't get  it on lol.
Then I'd it's too loose it will have wrinkles and that no good too loose 

Peppy

I know what you mean Mike. "It's to tight!" okay, adjust, adjust "It holds water!"

What do you do about the zipper inside against the motor? I imagine you don't let it rub on the finish. I do like the driving glove idea. I've used it on zodiac covers before.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mojo

Thanks Mike. Those pictures answered all my questions.

I really love the way your covers fit. They look very professional.

You dah man. :)

Chris

regalman190

Same complaint as June....I use seam tape over blue tape and sometimes the plastic won't stick to the seam tape.

Regal Canvas

Mike8560

January 19, 2011, 08:49:31 am #11 Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:17:03 pm by Mike8560
Well illhavd to see how it works on. Bigger pattern.
The shrinkwrap is clear and sticking has never been a problem.
Here's vow the co er came out it sure is bright.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo2-41.jpg
peppy there's a flap behind it like a pants zipper so thi g don't get dammave from the zip
they wanted yellow also

fragged8

hiya

I'm gonna have to try that and see if i can do it.

thanks Mike

Rich