Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 09:11:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Chair cushions

Started by satabor, January 18, 2011, 08:31:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

satabor

I recently acquired 2 darling upholstered chairs from Habitat for Humanity.  They are unused, but old (stored in a warehouse), so only the foam cushions need to be replaced.  I've purchased a foam slab 5' x 24' x 72' and each cushion is 19 x 19.  Can I get step-by-step instructions to change the foam?  Thanks and bright blessings!

Mike8560

What would do is remove the covering staples maybe and then the foam it may be glued on trace the foam on you new foam and cut it maybe a tad larger to fill the seats better maybe you can always cut them smaler and  you've got enought to recut them also.  Then recover the seats with the fabric.
But I'm just a boat uPholsterer so maybe others will chime in.

kodydog

January 18, 2011, 10:18:24 am #2 Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:20:57 am by kodydog
What Mike said is pretty close. Sounds like you have loose cushions. Take the old foam out. If it has a muslin cover, carefully pick the back seam apart and take the foam out. Save the muslin to reuse. If it is wrapped with Dacron carefully peal this off and save it. Use the old foam as a pattern and trace it to the new foam (magic marker works best). The hardest part is cutting the new foam. An electric knife would work best. If you don't have one, borrow one from your mother in law. Any other type knife will butcher it pretty bad. Keep the blade as even as possible to get a nice straight cut. Take your time, its not that hard. Coat the blade with silicone spray to make it go a little smother. Reattach the Dacron, spray glue or staples work best. Re-stuff the foam into the muslin and hand stitch it close. Then just stuff it into the casing.  :D ;) :)  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html