Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:15:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

annoying pleat wrinkles

Started by adem, August 27, 2010, 12:38:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adem

August 27, 2010, 12:38:41 pm Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:41:59 pm by adem
I haven't been around  these parts in a while, should visit more as I'm getting more experienced these days and could actually help other people now.

Anyway, I have these pleats that I cant seem to get to not wrinkle. My wife and I are doing a number of these seats so it would be good to get this sorted before hopefully before we end up with most of them wrinkled.

Here is a photo of what we are getting

I CANT SEEM TO WORK OUT HOW TO DISPLAY THE IMAGES AT A DECENT SIZE
YOU MIGHT NEED TO DRAG THEM TO THE ADDRESS BAR TO GET A GOOD LOOK

And here is what we are aiming for

We use pigmented leather on 1/2" of scrim back and do tuck and roll, we have modified the pattern many times and cant seem to get rid of it with correcting the pattern (unless we are missing something fairly major) I am thinking it may be able to be fixed by..

• going with a "stiffer" leather that is less likely to want to wrinkle in the same fashion.

• change to a higher density 3/4" thick channel foam. (I will probably do this any way, but I'm unsure it will help this issue).

• go insane and change the pattern again for the 10th time.

If any of you more experienced people could offer your two cents at all it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Agent 002

I usaully start my 1st pleat in the center and stretch the leather a lil to start my next pleat that works for me...hope this helps

MinUph

Are you stretching the leather unevenly while sewing the pleats?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SHHR

Are you gluing the leather to the scrim? I've had many tell me gluing it will cause wrinkles, however I've found just the opposite on a formed shape such as you have that leaving it un-glued will cause you wrinkles. try that plus stretching the leather a bit when putting it on the scrim. Any minor wrinkles will work out with some heat, and steam will do great on leather too.
Kyle

adem

August 27, 2010, 07:01:02 pm #4 Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:20:12 pm by adem
Quote from: SHHR on August 27, 2010, 06:36:30 pm
Are you gluing the leather to the scrim? I've had many tell me gluing it will cause wrinkles, however I've found just the opposite on a formed shape such as you have that leaving it un-glued will cause you wrinkles. try that plus stretching the leather a bit when putting it on the scrim. Any minor wrinkles will work out with some heat, and steam will do great on leather too.
Kyle

Gluing the leather to the scrim crossed my mind as well, but I don't think it would work for the tuck and roll. (we are copying the technique used on the seat we a reproducing) We aren't able to attach the leather to the scrim foam at the beginning because you need to stitch it as you work across. This diagram may explain better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

adem

Quote from: MinUph on August 27, 2010, 06:30:26 pm
Are you stretching the leather unevenly while sewing the pleats?

no they are not even really stretched, and they are kept even.

I have an idea that involves a subtle pattern change  ??? but it might help things. I will be sure to update if I get it sorted.

Rich

What procedure are you using to cut and sew? Her'es how I would do it, especially if you are having wrinkles:
1-cut an oversized blank of leather and backed foam and sew all pleats making sure to pull slightly on the leather as you go.
2-pin the pleated assembly to the seat, pulling out any wrinkles, then mark a line where your seam will lie. Include registration marks  every 8" or so and certainly at the front and rear centers, Remove the assy. and pin fit the boxing transferring registration marks.
3-Remove boxing, trim to seam allowance and stitch to pleated assy. aligning registration marks.
4-Trim excess pleated material past seam and install on seat.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

ragtacker

In addition to Rich's suggestions, make sure that you always sew in the same direction.  Sometimes, the machine feed varies enough to create wrinkles, and if the seams all start at the same end it seems to help.

adem

I just realized today that I never replied to this thread, the face piece was too small and we were having to pull too hard on the cover and that was causing the wrinkles. And also another aspect that helped fix the wrinkle problem was to stop caring so much about them.  ;D