Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:55:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Exotics

Started by 69Mach1, August 22, 2009, 06:05:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

69Mach1

HI ALL,
  I have a customer that wants me to do a custom interior on a speed boat for a show he is doing to show off his painting skills. Anyway, he is wanting  some exotic vinyls, Ostrich, Snakeskin. Something different anyway. Are there any out there that is marine grade? I am not sure, I have went though my books. ANY IDEAS??

Thanks Mark ::) 8) ;D :D ;) :)

bobbin

I know nothing about the "exotics" available in vinyl.  But I can't wait to see what others suggest... I love the automotive stuff I see here... . 

baileyuph

If any of that is available, it probably is for the clothing industry.

No samples in my vinyl books either.

But, stay tuned, if the market should justify milling it out if will come.

I remember the psychodelic vinyl that nagahyde milled out several years ago.  It looked sharp.but apparently the market was spotty.

Oh heck, just order about 25 rolls and speculate.   ;)

Doyle

Backwoods

Holler at Mike he might know of something.  I know of nothing like that, but back in the 60's they used vinyl as tandue covers and treated them so anything is possible.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them

stitcher_guy

Oh good heavens. It's everywhere. You can get about anything you want in any material you want. I prefer using vinyl vs. embossed leather vs. using real hide, mainly because of price, durability and ability to match up a replacement.

Charlotte Fabrics has absolutely gorgeous faux Ostrich (male pattern). Everyone carries at least a single brand or exotic, but a lot of them are too flat and cheap looking to be nice on a seat. The CF stuff is very very textured. The bumps stick right out.  The chopper seat used real leather on the outers and faux Ostrich on the center. The two tier seat had Pearl Ostrich (faux) in the center and (if I remember right) an Ultraleather line of heavy grain snake for the outer. That's the material that went in Miranda Lambert's motorcoach a few years ago. Very very heavy grain and looks great. On the flipside, the bench seat uses the same Pearl Ostrich and a smooth grain snake for the outers. Gives a totally different, more upscale look. That seat is going in an 08 Chevy Malibu.

Along with exotic skins, there are also a variety of other types of exotics. The last bike seat uses Carbon Fiber vinyl mixed with the Ostrich. It made for a nice change up on the texture. 

I've found when using embossed leather with exotic patterns, that when stretched the pattern tends to wear prematurely or disappear during assembly, plus it's a LOT more expensive. We also have used true Caymen hide on a couple hot rod seats and a couple bike seats. It's really expensive, and about the only plus is the raised center spine is cool. But the whole hide is only about three feet long and a couple feet wide, and you don't get a lot of useable material.

Call Miami, Wholesale USA, Coast to Coast Leather, Charlotte Fabrics, or just about anyone else, and ask for their sample cards. New ones are coming out every day, too, it seems.

fragged8

hiya

I love the silver flames on the bike seat, are they sewn on top of everything else ? or patterned out.

regards
Rich

bobbin

Amazing! those seats are so cool. 

69Mach1

Hi All,

I do have vinyl samples of the stuff they do not say marine grade. They say suitable for all commercial, residential, and automotive applications.Nothing about marine. So I am not sure. All my marine sample,say so. Any other help would be great.

69Mach1

Anyone use Larry Dennis?

Mark

Miami Mike

If you will, go to the link, under marine vinyl's click on the Studio card. Very nice vinyl, has ostrich, at the bottom of the page has others as well.

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=customer&file=customer/micorp2/customerpages/samples.htm
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Backwoods

Hey Stitch

1. Your seats look great I like your inlay, or overlay. How many hours involved. 

2. How does the FAUX hides hold up. haven't used any myself but I'm working on some plans in the back of my head.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them

hdflame

stitcher_guy

The seats look great!  I ride a Road King and am currently on a Corbin seat.  I like the firm ride of a Corbin.  I was looking around on your site and saw that you were building the seats with two layers of foam.  I've seen the multicolored foam, but noticed that you had another layer over top of that.

What you have looks like a firm seat base.  What is the foam you're using and where are you getting it?

Some of the people on this site should consider making some "How To" videos!  ;)

Nice work!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Unicorn

I recently got a sample book (well, maybe not that recent, but in the last 12 months or so) from J. Ennis Fabrics.  my-oh-my-oh-my
Snakeskin, ostrich, wood, pigskin, cowskin.....they had just about every vinyl-hide but cockroach.  Not cheap tho, I seem to recall prices in the $100/yard range.

stitcher

NUVTEX just came out recently with some really cool new lines

I just finished this seat lastnight.

Stitcher

hdflame

Quote from: stitcher on September 25, 2009, 06:48:41 am
NUVTEX just came out recently with some really cool new lines

I just finished this seat lastnight.

Stitcher

Stitcher,

Is that real leather or vinyl?  Looks GREAT, simple but very sharp!  I think I could carve out a niche in just motorcycles alone around here.  Can you tell me what kind of foam you use?  I like a firm seat.  Also, Do you cover the foam in some kind of plastic before putting the cover on it?
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)