Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 03:56:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

SNAPS

Started by Agent 002, June 07, 2013, 06:07:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent 002

Just wondering how you guys anchor your snaps on a fiberglass boat to make a boat cover. Ive always riveted my snaps in. I was told that the screw in studs would crack the fibeglass. Is this true?

Grebo

We normally use screws, use the right size drill bit & slightly counter sink the hole works a treat.

Suzi

Mike

I like screw in. 1/8" bit and i bevel rhe gelcoat with my screw tip. Before screwing.
I
Just think they look better imho

Agent 002

Mojo

I always used screw studs on coaches. I would always pre-drill the hole thought to keep from cracking the paint/fiberglass.

Chris

Darren Henry

Mike has seen snow; so I always back his play. LOL.

QuoteI like screw in. 1/8" bit and i bevel rhe gelcoat with my screw tip. Before screwing.
I
Just think they look better imho

I find that not only do they hold and look better; it is much faster as well to use screw studs vs. riveted. I use a 7/64 th. countersink bit to pre-drill unless it's a Bayliner or other cheap boat---there I'll go up to 1/8" because they harden the gel coat so quickly ( they mix it "hot" before they spray)  it is very brittle.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I hate it when you drill to small a hole then the screw stud breaks off in the hole.
Now try to get it out

JuneC

Screw in - like Mike with a 1/8" drill bit then countersink through the gelcoat or you're likely to get chips.  I hate riveted snap studs.  There's always one or two on a boat in a spot that the stud gets damaged by hitting against a dock or on the bow where a swinging anchor crushes it.  Drilling out the rivet is always a PITA.  I've never had one that didn't grab the drill bit and spin in the hole.  Now you have a REAL challenge.  Nickel/brass rivets aren't too awful, but stainless can make you crazy.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields