Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 06:07:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Please educate me about leather

Started by ajlelectronics, September 25, 2012, 01:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlelectronics

September 25, 2012, 01:20:49 pm Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:22:05 pm by ajlelectronics
Much against my principles, I have got two black leather car interiors to refurbish. One is beyond repair so I don't need to worry about matching. The other is needing a replacement panel so I need to match the grain I suppose.

As I have a moral objection to using animal remains in any way, I have taken no interest in the subject, but now it seems that I must. As car interior material, it will go through a great deal of stress from heat, cold and physical wear. Clearly I need something of good quality rather than cheap, but how do I choose? I have done a cursory look around at the marketplace, for ideas and wonder what I should be looking for? I found an Ebayer (I will likely buy from a trade supplier) that sells hides and claims suitability for the purpose. Is he right, or is it cheap stuff? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-HIDE-53-06-SQ-FT-UPHOLSTERY-USE-CRAFT-USE-/130715643679?pt=UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item1e6f426f1f

JuneC

First, let me qualify my reply by saying I know little to nothing about leather.  But that ad strikes me as not worthy of car upholstery.  A) anything stating usefulness to the craft industry strikes me as not sufficient for high wear like a car seat.  Might be ok for areas that don't contact the body, but I doubt it would hold up to a hot summer day under glass.  and B) 1mm thick?  Wow, that's thin.  Also, the seller doesn't say if it's full grain, top grain, a split, no info other than that it's cow hide.  Probably a split (inferior under-layer that's embossed to look like top grain).  JMHO.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scottymc

Do yourself and your customer a favour and don't do the job, if you are going to dislike the job that much it will not turn out well. Just sayin :)

scarab29

My leather comes from coast to coast leather and vinyl. They are great with matching oem leather color and grain. I have been to the warehouse and have to say "holy cow" no pun intended. The amount of hides they have there is just nuts !!!

www.coast2coastleather.com/
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

ajlelectronics

Thankyou all for your inputs. I am going to have to do them, regardless of my finer feelings, so I am considering this product http://www.yarwoodleather.com/products/albany-black/ which is from a trade outlet. It claims to be the right stuff and isn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

American companies are going to be uneconomic for me to use, due to carriage and customs charges, but thanks for the suggestion.

I might get a few offcuts to play with as one car needs gear lever gaiter and handbrake gaiter making up. You can see the current state of it here should you be interested, I have just bought the car:http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16963

The other car is a remove and replace one bolster panel.

scottymc

September 27, 2012, 02:03:08 pm #5 Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:05:14 pm by scottymc
Seriously mate? It's your car and your going against your own principles,   ::) Just sayin. ;D

ajlelectronics

That's right. The reason is that I want to resell it once restored. I want to replace it with a yellow automatic, so I can do that one to my taste. I considered converting this one but I would then be considering  a much better powerplant and it would turn into a major project. Much better to restore and sell this one, so it needs to be as per original. I don't like leather for seats even without my moral objections. Slippery, smelly and thermally shocking in temperature extremes. Why they command a premium price just defeats me, but I'm not trying to impose my unusual views on others. :-)

JDUpholstery

I find it more against my principles not to use animal hides....if we are going to eat them we might as well use every part that we can! I like a good steak, so I guess a vegan might see things differently!

scottymc

So your going against your principles so you will make more money out of it, well now I understand  ::)  ;)

wizzard

I don't know about the listed leather resources, but what bothers me with all of them,
there is no detail listed about quality of leather:
Is it full grain leather
is it top grain leather
how is the leather dyed
what is the the size of hide
thickness of leather
light fastness
weight
grain characteristics
stitch tear
crock fastness
elongation
is it a greenguard certified product

for car upholstery very important
flame resistance - is there a certificate on file

just don't like to get a leather hide without knowing what I really receive
to do my job. 

ajlelectronics

Quote from: scottymc on September 28, 2012, 01:30:37 am
So your going against your principles so you will make more money out of it, well now I understand  ::)  ;)

Nothing to do with it. I am retaining the original build standard of the car and not imposing my views on potential buyers that prefer originality.

ajlelectronics

Quote from: wizzard on September 30, 2012, 09:35:34 am
I don't know about the listed leather resources, but what bothers me with all of them,
there is no detail listed about quality of leather:

Some useful pointers there, thankyou. I will have a word with the suppliers. I had thought that anything listed under automotive should be of a particular standard, but we know what "assume" means. :-)

scottymc

September 30, 2012, 07:57:39 pm #12 Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:03:32 am by scottymc
If you get tired explaining your principles, eat a hunk of beef it will give you more energy  ;D

Grebo

Quote from: ajlelectronics on September 27, 2012, 02:19:29 pm
Slippery, smelly and thermally shocking in temperature extremes. Why they command a premium price just defeats me, but I'm not trying to impose my unusual views on others. :-)

Funny you should say that, I don't get it either.  ;)

Suzi