Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 04:03:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam Storage

Started by Mojo, November 18, 2010, 05:49:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

We have some pretty clever minds on here. I was wondering if anyone has come up with an idea for storing foam.

I know they ship foam under vacuum and was wondering if anyone has come up with a trick to vac seal
their spare foam for storage.

Dang this stuff takes up so much room and I would like to find a way to minimize the space needed.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Chris

Cheryl

You don't want to store your foam in a shrink wrapped condition.  If left too long that way -- it will not recover ..  I  stack mine on a shelf above the work area and  under my table on a roll out I built.   

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

I didn't know that Cheryl. Thank you.

I just bought some foam for some boat cushions....YIKES. I know it went up when oil went up but since oil came down foam prices never followed.

I cannot believe the cost of foam which is why I hold on to pieces big enough to make a small cushion.

Thanks for the tip Cheryl, I will have to find some clever way to store it. Maybe overhead in the garage.

Chris

Mike8560

i agree with cheryl the package should say to unwrap as soon as you get it i normally ley mine set out flat overnight at least .  flat is best to store

bobbin

I buy from a reasonably local supplier and I place my order with them and then I go to pick it up... FLAT and in a bag.  Shipping on foam is expensive and since the supplier's city is a a fun one I plan "a day of it" and do something fun.  I have to fold it back on itself to get it in my wagon, but it is never as misshapen as vacuum packed stuff is!  I store it flat, or as flat as I'm able (maybe one loose fold).  And I don't like to "stockpile" the stuff.  I order for the individual job, maybe taking advantage of a good sale if I know I have a lot of cushion work coming up. 

I always try to cover it, too.  Light and sunshine on it degrades it and changes the color.  Not a big deal if it's not long term, but with prices being what they are (yikes!) the idea of foam looking "shopworn" is not one I like very much. 

Whenever I have to deal with vacuum packed foam at work I always use the hand steamer to steam it out.  I like to do that the day before it will be needed, actually.  That allows is time to dry fully and it also gives in several hours to relax back into the flat sheet that is easier to cut and piece. 

Great question!

sofadoc

Yup!! You can't leave foam shrunk for too long. I get mine from a delivery truck that brings it UNSHRUNK. Same with big rolls of polyester batting. Places call me all the time with "real deals" on polyester. Problem is: they shrink it before shipping.
While foam will come back (if it's not shrunk for too long), you'll NEVER get all the wrinkles out of shrunken polyester.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Cheryl

You're welcome Chris. :-)     
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

kodydog

Hay Mojo I bought a el-cheepo build it your self shed. 8' X 10'. I store the foam on one side and poly wrap on the other. The only pain is when you have a five foot pile of foam and the piece you want is on the bottom. My suppler just started shrinking the polly wrap and it is a pain. It helps to unwrap it as soon as I get it and let it relax a little. Think I'll give them a call and see If I can get them to stop doing that.
Hope this helps.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html