Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:13:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushion Troubles

Started by jojo, November 22, 2013, 09:42:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisberry12

very difficult to get a cushion to look right when one side is fabric and the other is vinyl. when sewing the welt, do no stretch anything! just lay the welt on the cushion top and sew, being very careful not to stretch anything, then the same with the vinyl. carefully sew the boxing on, mark your corners. Sew all four corners in first and your centers, then finish out the sewing. Works for me every time. I never pre-sew my welt, just take your time. Another problem could be it you have the right size welt foot and sometimes you have to line the welt. Good Luck! Upholstery is so much fun because it is always different.

Darren Henry

QuoteSew all four corners in first and your centers, then finish out the sewing. Works for me every time

I do the same thing; but with staples. My prefered weapon is one of my plier style staplers but any office stapler will work. Mine uses the same staple and there are "beefier" staple(r)s out there if you are into really heavy going. One important trick with them is to staple on the seam line not in the salvage. I've never stopped to work out the physics---but it can make an inch difference on a 10X10X4' event tent top. I had a lady working with me when we made all those Vintex (herculite etc...) tops for the community market a couple of years ago who insisted on stapeling on the edge of the panels. Hers never finished even. I had done all the cutting,I traded her machines,I went over hers like a formula one pitcrew, no change. If I stapled the panels for her they came out within 1/32" on 12+ feet of seam.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!