Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 10:27:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Seat techniques

Started by Highvelocity, November 15, 2013, 08:07:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Highvelocity

I am seeing the light...Finally getting it to lay nice.  The sectioning from the inside out is working great.  Went real slow and marked every joining piece big! then measuring and cutting to suit for the next section.  I am going to do the outside arms and back on Friday, I made notes and kept measurements for the second chair so hopefully it goes faster. 

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!  I will post a finished product soon. 
   Ed 

Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

baileyuph

Your looking good Ed.  Just make sure the outside arms and outside back are just tight enough to make (pull) the front smooth and perfect.

Ed if you made and saved the patterns from this first pass, then you are set to keep on trucking on the second seat - you already are patterned!!!  If both seats are the same, the first pattern can be used direct or mirrowed to represent the pattern of the next seat and for as many that are similar.  When you have time, inform about the vinyl you used, it looks like good stuff.

Very impressive and let's celebrate with those pictures!

Doyle

Highvelocity

Doyle,
   Check out Perfectfit.com...Look under "Navigator Marine Grade Vinyl 54"  They also have the Carbon Fiber vinyl that I am using for the stripes.  The Navigator does have a good robust feel to it, but it's still soft. 

Highvelocity

Here's a before and after...I have a little more pulling to do on it, but it's way better than the 1st attempt.

baileyuph

Beautiful work Ed, glad to see you are having fun!

I have seen factory work not as nice.

Those seats will have new meaning to you going forward,

Congrats!

Doyle

JuneC

Nice!  If pulling tighter doesn't get you exactly where you want, don't be afraid to stuff the corners with a little dacron.  I've also been known to "refresh" the old foam by gluing a layer of 1/4" sew foam (fabric side down) to old seats.  The new one looks great though!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Highvelocity

Thanks Doyle and June...  I'm not sure how fast I will volunteer to do another set..lol, but the key is not to give up.

fragged8

i'd say the new covers are a world away form the first one you did :-) looking really good .

listen to June she is a master, i respect her opinion. Her advice in the past has been worth more than gold :-) . have a look at how the auto boys do seats as well. Youtube or the Hog Ring

I would suggest that if you are using a 1/2" seam allowance stick with it for the second seat but consider going down to 3/8 on the next project as it helps reduce some of the seam puckering around the bends. if you can, snip the SA on bends to give it some relief.
Spend some time making sure all the SA is turned in the same direction, i just noticed the front welt edge on the base cushion might have a kink in it due to the SA. One side up and the other side down ?? you wouldn't notice that on the sides or back.
Steam is your friend, I use a wallpaper stripper with an icebox defrosting nozzle on it so no fancy kit needed..

MinUph

Nice design change removing that horizontal seam across the inside back insert was a good idea. Stress point to say the least hence the tearout on the old one.
  Still could be tighter on the the next ones. But your doing great!
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

This project brings up an interesting point - seam allowances and keeping them on-track.  Most of the seats I take apart have a 3/8" or less seam allowance.  With that there's very little control over which way it points.  It goes which ever way the seat (stresses) chooses.  With a 1/2" or more, you have more control.  You can lay it one direction or another and make it stay that way (at least until someone walks on it).  On older foam I tend to leave it at 1/2" so I have some control when stapling.  I'm interested in other methods since the 1/2" can sometimes show through. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

fragged8

I have been known to use some venture tape to hold a SA where I want it :-)
but it can cause a wrinkle if not placed just right

baileyuph

I don't have a general problem with 1/2 inch seam allowances, matter of fact sometimes the wider is more manageable.  If a wide seam allowance becomes a problem, for me, it has been in tighter turns - not a problem, merely snip it to what works but only in that area (the width and relief cuts).

Another comment, this thing about plastic welt twisting could enter this discussion, one would have to evaluate their situation regarding this.  In my marine and auto work as well, it has been learned, one should be sensitive to sewing the welt too tight.  Too tight can cause problems in both these type of seating.  I started in the trade before welt was really in vogue, then plastic became used, and now it is seldom used.  Newer autos, most don't have any welt.

More current experience is with the new furniture today; which (what I work on anyway) uses plastic core and there are a lot of problems with it.  But in repairs and warranty work, you just have to analyse and work with it to get it to best appearance as possible.

Folks say; "If it was easy everyone would be doing it".  I don't believe you can put the answer in one can, you just have to evaluate and go with your best thinking for the specific application.

Doyle

Darren Henry

Lookin' good Ed. I'll throw out a couple of thoughts though that may help.

Quoteit helps reduce some of the seam puckering around the bends

I was going to suggest that cutting the salvage (either slices at 90º or cutting it away parallel to the seam )makes a big difference.

QuoteEd if you made and saved the patterns from this first pass,

I keep all my scratched/remnant window plastic for this. Easier to store than wooden patterns and "if" you have a blem in the vinyl/leather/whatever, you will see it as you are transfering the pattern.

A little bit of saran wrap where you need the vinyl to slide and a heat gun will cut your bar tab in half  :D Oh, those types of seat will still drive you to drink---this will just slow it down LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Highvelocity

Fragged,
     No offense to the auto seat guys, but I would have to say this type of seat is up another level on the difficulty meter.  Really because of the arms, and getting them to lay in the 3 side corners and not upsetting the rest of the measurements.  I did a set of auto seats and I can say those stays and hog rings minus the arms, make it way less frustrating. 

@Daren Henry After, my first seat last Friday I did have more than one drink...lol

Ed