Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 11:54:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

need a jig ideas?

Started by MinUph, June 17, 2017, 07:30:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

June 17, 2017, 07:30:44 pm Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:31:19 pm by MinUph
I need to build a jig that will be very simple to use and hold a section of fabric that is between 4" to 8" wide. A gripper type tool mounted to a bench that I could slide the fabric in and when pulling on it makes it tighten down on the fabric to hold it. Sort of a concentric roller thingy. Does anyone have any ideas on where I might find some possible parts for such a thing? Or even buy something pre made if not to expensive.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I like finding ways to customize for a particular need - it's bench mounted - can you explain a little more what the purpose is -
SA

MinUph

I want to be able to clamp a boxing with welt to it and be able to stretch the boxing out.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Quality shows when the welt is carefully sewn, tight, and applied without noticeable seams in areas not seen if possible.  The only thing I could think of is a set up using tail vice hardware or a typical vice with the top of the vice even with the bench.  You could add surface mounted wood strips screwed to either side of the opening with either a surface clamp or spikes sticking up - after securing the fabric the vise would be opened to tighten the fabric
The things we need to do to deal with stretch - 
SA

MinUph

I have thought about a vise but I don't want anything sticking out from the table or above it. I'm trying to do something I can fasten to the leg of the table. I have about a 2" overhang on the table top so it could be pretty much out of the way. I'm sure I have seen something like this but just can't place it. I have found a concentric clamping affair online but it is not wide enough 100mm I need 200mm or there abouts.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Would the jig need to be as long as an average cushion boxing?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

As wide Dennis. If its a 4 1/4" boxing that 4 1/4" would have to fit in it. Or 6" on a 6" box. not the length.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Quote from: gene on June 18, 2017, 08:53:28 am
Hold down clamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibhEEFTZYNk

Holdfast clamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp50FazRJ_U

These are not totally automatic.

gene

The leigh is a possibility if I could get it like 8" wide.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

June 18, 2017, 01:46:06 pm #9 Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:47:07 pm by MinUph
I picked up a couple of these today at HF now to make them adjustable width wise and still work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BRkA-kwOkNUnNoSTE1dHZJYzg/view?usp=sharing
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Another idea is a webbing stretcher system that uses a slot and a wooden dowel.

At 1:30 on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5svu4oVDSk

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

I was into that type clamp thinking also Paul. Something that cams over, I had thought using the existing lip of table to hold this 3 layers of wood at each end only. Almost like a rabbit in wood working and center top section temporarily removed, and this specfic part being the width you need for boxing dimension material.
Later use the center open area as clamping section with a free piece of wood sandwiching textile under or between table top and Rubber bumpers of the clamp tool. Or better yet mounting this part to a clamping tool thats mounted at each end already, as tool in your link. This should tighten or clamp all material and itself to table edge. I think!

Good day
Floyd