Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:57:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dishwasher bites the big one

Started by kodydog, May 03, 2013, 07:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

The wife woke up last night and exclaimed, "I SMELL SMOKE". We both jumped out of bed and ran through the house looking for the source. I spotted soot around the control panel of the dishwasher. It made a very strong "burning plastic" smell. Today she called the manufacturer and they said that model has been recalled for this very reason. She also Googled this problem and found some homes have caught fire. The manufacture said they will either repair or replace the appliance.

Sucks doing dishes by hand.  :(
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I came home at 5:15 the other day only to find that my A/C wasn't working, AND my garage door opener was malfunctioning.

I pulled out my cell phone and made a couple of calls. By 6 PM, a serviceman had my A/C fixed, and another one fixed my garage door. Total cost for both: $170.

Try THAT with Angie's List. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

lucky no fire cody.  sofa I came home last wummer one day to find my ac was working and the house getting hot  turns out it was just a plugged drain a pan under thew unit in the house has a drain outside and when thr water get hight a sensor shuts off the compressor to avoid overflow, I sucked out the line and csalled a service man who said I fixed it

baileyuph

This must be season of dish washer and/or AC problems.

My dish machine seemed to be developing forgetful memory, it has traditionally been great and is not new, so I checked the vitals, bought a new panel controller and that go it going fine.   I put a new pump in it a few years back.  I find it pays to research and do whatever to better understand, after a while it becomes intuitative as to what it needs.  The Whirlpool is what I am hooked on.

Then, my AC stopped cooling, I checked the vitals, motor, thermostat, and tore it a part to clean it out, something like Mike did.  It resumed to perform like new.  We get so much stuff in the air that it will stop up the condensor.  Mainenance or preventative maintenance can do a lot to keep things going.  Sometimes at no cost.

Kody hope you get it fixed quickly, you probably will, sounds like you need a control panel controller and the rest checked out like blockage, water level sensor. 

The older the unit, up to a point, can work in your favor.  Hang in there.

Doyle

Mojo

Just put a brand new heat pump system in two months ago......cha-ching...$ 5 K. Everything had to be replaced from the air handler to the central air unit. We went with a heat pump system because I didn't want the electric coil heat setup. Our old unit was just cent air.

The heat pump is one very efficient way to heat your home if you live in the south. In the north it is useless.

No issues with the dishwasher but if I do it will go to the dump and get replaced with a new one. The one we have is a few years old I believe. It has so many settings but I have never used anything but the button that says " Normal ". I still do not know what all the other selections do or what they are for. :)

Chris

gene

Last year we bought a dishwasher that has a garbage disposal unit in it that then sends food stuff/water into the drain of the sink that has the big garbage disposal unit on it. This dish washer allows you to not have to wash off your plates when you load them into it. It also had a lot of settings that I have no interest in finding out what they mean.

I still find it funny that our dryer has a water line running to it. LOL. Who ever thought of hooking up a water line to a 250 volt appliance was a genius?!? The water line is so the dryer can mist the clothes on the setting that is for getting wrinkles out of clothes. Instead of putting a wet wash cloth in the dryer, you just set the setting for getting wrinkles out.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

May 10, 2013, 06:11:24 am #6 Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:22:45 am by Mike
Pardon my dumbness why would you put a wet rag in the dryer  with all the wet socks?
Eouldnt it bee the same thing as the wet rag?

Grebo

Quote from: kodydog on May 03, 2013, 07:02:15 pm
The wife woke up last night and exclaimed, "I SMELL SMOKE". We both jumped out of bed and ran through the house looking for the source. I spotted soot around the control panel of the dishwasher. It made a very strong "burning plastic" smell. Today she called the manufacturer and they said that model has been recalled for this very reason. She also Googled this problem and found some homes have caught fire. The manufacture said they will either repair or replace the appliance.

Sucks doing dishes by hand.  :(

I heard there is a batch of faulty Bosch machines which can spontaneously combust, don't know if you got any of  them over there or not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294062/500-000-homes-dishwasher-risk-alert-Bosch-appliances-burst-flames.html

Suzi

gene

Mike, you want to wear your favorite Hawaiian shirt to go give an estimate for one of Donald Trumps' boats. Your shirt is wrinkled. You lightly wet a wash cloth or hand towel, put it in the dryer with your favorite Hawaiian shirt, put the setting on the lowest heat setting, and the steam from the wash cloth will take out the wrinkles in just a few minutes. 

Just make sure that the cloth does not 'static cling' to the inside of your shirt. It'll look like you're trying to hide a baloney sandwich.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!