Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:15:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Economic News - What does it mean?

Started by baileyuph, January 31, 2015, 06:14:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

The strong dollar, doesn't this mean US retailers, for example, will be able to buy foreign upholstery related items even cheaper?

If so, American producers will find competing even more difficult.

Had an interesting comment from a senior customer this week to the issue of reupholstering quality opposed to buying imports which are cheaper:  The comment was:  "Oh well I will buy throw-away, at 70 years old, it isn't as important to focus on the longer term of reupholstering quality because it will last."

Not sure there is an argument for this perspective?

This was noted with a couple customers within the past week.  I think it was a surprise.

Doyle

kodydog

January 31, 2015, 06:41:53 am #1 Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:43:09 am by kodydog
I've heard this many times from senior customers. Or this one, this will be the last time I'll upholster this sofa.

Here is my response, 70 is not that old these days. If you stay fit and in good health chances are you'll live another 20 or 30 years.

That usually puts a smile on their face and makes them feel better.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

January 31, 2015, 07:06:08 am #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:08:51 am by gene
Quote"Oh well I will buy throw-away, at 70 years old, it isn't as important to focus on the longer term of reupholstering quality because it will last."

Yes Doyle, if your 70 year old customer will be dead in 3 to 5 years his bet on buying new furniture will be right on.  :)

I just did a sofa for a lady who was 84. She couldn't give a rats' ass about how long she lived. She was too busy living. LOL She loved quality things and how old she was had nothing to do with the things she enjoyed.

It's always enjoyable to meet people and think "I want to be like them when I'm their age."

QuoteThe strong dollar
American producers who have manufacturing plants only here in the USA may find it more difficult.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I hear the same attitude all the time..........."This is the LAST time I'll have to recover this sofa!"

I'm also seeing more and more seniors who sell their home, and downsize into a cheaply built home because they really aren't concerned about what happens to the house after they're gone.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

You know the old saying guys.............. " if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself ". :)

Chris

seatbuilder

Manufacturing and export here in Canada is starting to kick into high gear. However the cost of resources to do the manufacturing has gon up so the profit margin is there, just not as great as the manufacturers would like. The down side is we import a lot of food from the US and other countries and our cost of living takes a beating. It is such a convoluted system that one does not gain without the other suffering.
No matter what country you live in.

baileyuph

Yes, there is a lot of head wind for a business.  Being in business brings it challenges,  small business is no exception.

Inflation, is bigger than published, price increases have been evident the last few years at every turn.

Doyle

baileyuph

Strong Dollar effects:

Customer came in and saw that a pontoon boat seat project was being finished, inquired about the price - he has a pontoon needing seat work.

When given the estimate (did not see seat condition, etc.), his response was his friend bought complete seats new for under a $1000. 

The seats were imported and for a couple more bucks they were available in plastic frames.

Anyone who has done such would probably agree doing four benches in a boat like that for a little less then $1000 would not pay the bills very long.  Yep, and I would be using old frames and foam, for the most part - can't compete.

No wonder the imports are rising and in the process losing jobs to off shore where the labor is cheaper along with the stronger dollar effect.  A major problem to the unemployment rate here on the domestic scene.

Doyle

gene

February 15, 2015, 06:49:01 am #8 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:52:44 am by gene
Quotehis response was his friend bought complete seats new for under a $1000.

When folks ask me about a price, and I give them a price, and then they tell me that they can get it cheaper from a cousin or best buddy or Walmart or where ever, it is often my impression that the only reason they asked about a price was to be able to tell me that they could get it cheaper somewhere else.

-----------------------
QuoteA major problem to the unemployment rate here on the domestic scene.

If we have such a major unemployment rate here in the good ol' US of A, then why are our elected officials saying we need to let 13 million illegals in this country because we dont have enough workers?

And have you heard that those 13 million or 20 million or how ever many of them there will be on the first influx, will have voting rights? And 95% are estimated to be on welfare!

gene

kodydog

Yes but Gene. Remember, they are all highly educated, law abiding and upstanding citizens who want to assimilate into our society, make this country greater and build a rich and prosperous life for themselves. This country was built on the backs of emigrants and they have a right to become citizens. Even if the president has to break a few laws to do it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 15, 2015, 06:49:01 am
........it is often my impression that the only reason they asked about a price was to be able to tell me that they could get it cheaper somewhere else.

A few days ago, I was summoned to an office complex to give an estimate on redoing several rooms. An employee led me from room to room, each time pointing to identical pieces of furniture. He could've just said "See that loveseat.......we've got 11 of them".  "See that chair.......there's 20 of those".

Then he led me to the head honcho's office to whom I was to present the formal estimate for everything.

Before I could even get some preliminary numbers out of my mouth, the boss interrupted me, turned to the other people in the office, and said "See! I told you that it would be cheaper to just buy new!"

I told the boss that it was common courtesy to let someone who had taken time out of their day to at least finish their sentence before cutting them off. Before she could reply to that, I left. I heard a few snickers from the employees as I walked out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

February 15, 2015, 07:41:31 am #11 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:42:18 am by gene
kodyD: And George W is stupid and Anna Nichole Smith married for love.

Tell us enough times and we will believe it.

Give us enough drugs and we won't care.
----------------------------
sofaD:
Quotecommon courtesy
Hey, I heard this expression once. I think it was in an old black and white movie.  :)
----------------------------
It's 10 degress F now. And it's going up to 17 degrees F for a high today. 5 minutes ago I saw 3 deer outside my window about 4 feet away staring at our bird feeders. As I was typing this a hawk hit the window while catching a grackle (small bird). Life and death are all around us. I'm actually back to Doyle's original post: Economic News - What does it mean? Life and death are all around us. Life doesn't change, only the players.

gene

Rich

Quote from: sofadoc on February 15, 2015, 07:21:15 am
Quote from: gene on February 15, 2015, 06:49:01 am
........it is often my impression that the only reason they asked about a price was to be able to tell me that they could get it cheaper somewhere else.

A few days ago, I was summoned to an office complex to give an estimate on redoing several rooms. An employee led me from room to room, each time pointing to identical pieces of furniture. He could've just said "See that loveseat.......we've got 11 of them".  "See that chair.......there's 20 of those".

Then he led me to the head honcho's office to whom I was to present the formal estimate for everything.

Before I could even get some preliminary numbers out of my mouth, the boss interrupted me, turned to the other people in the office, and said "See! I told you that it would be cheaper to just buy new!"

I told the boss that it was common courtesy to let someone who had taken time out of their day to at least finish their sentence before cutting them off. Before she could reply to that, I left. I heard a few snickers from the employees as I walked out.

Thanks sofa, for yet another example for my observation that so many management positions are filled by people who have far more drive fill a personal need to assert their dominance over others than any wisdom. I think Michael Scott epitomized this phenomenon.
Rich
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!