Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 01:58:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tandy

Started by SteveA, June 29, 2016, 09:52:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I was on my way to do a service call in Rockland County -I was a little ahead of schedule and I look over toward some stores for a coffee place and see hides hanging in the window - the customer can wait !  They opened a Tandy Leather Store - fully stocked with everything you see on line.  I opened a business account which sets you up for a nice savings on items over their retail cost.  I bought this craft shears/scissor that can cut a piece of 6 oz leather with its pointed tip.  One side of the scissor is serrated and this scissor was a nice find.  I had been using a metal snips for trimming multiple layers of fabric but this scissor under $ 40.00 is well worth the cost and is better suited for getting in close.
SA

Darren Henry

I can't remember if my shears came from Tandy/Leather factory or not, but if those are same ones you can cut sole leather like butter.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

July 03, 2016, 06:25:44 am #2 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:29:50 am by kodydog
I've sent many customers to Tandy Leather in Lake City. One in particular called and said two leather stools were cracking and delaminating. They were only one year old. I told her if she could find the leather I could upholster them. So she went to Tandy leather. And she found 1/2 hide that was a perfect match.

When she brought the stools and hides to me I noticed some unusual streaks in the hide. But there was enough leather to cut around them and get the job done. I also noticed the cracked and delaminating fabric was vinyl and not leather. She insisted the salesman told her it was leather. I had to tell her he was misinformed.

So I recovered the stools and when I was done I noticed a chalk mark on the leather. I used a damp cloth to remove the mark. Then I noticed the die came off on the rag I was using and left a mark on the stool. Ug. Now I had to decide, should I tell her the die is not set? The job was done and even though I told her to go to Tandy, it was still a COM. I kept my mouth shut and she was very pleased with the results.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

QuoteI noticed the die came off on the rag I was using and left a mark on the stool. Ug. Now I had to decide, should I tell her the die is not set?

Tandy/Leather factory carry a number of clear coat finishes that would have been the answer here. The  one I used most was Reslone. Just wipe it on with a damp sponge and it shines and seals your belt/holster/etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I reupholstered a sofa last month. 1 1/2 years old. It was in their finished lower level and a water leak from upstairs hit the sofa in one spot and it caused the dye on the sofa to run and streak. I reupholstered with a fabric.

If this and kody's chair leather the difference between surface dye and vat dye? Or can vat dye do the same thing?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I was considering desk top leather more so than then upholstery grade leather.  I like Goliger Leather in Ca. for price, quality, and customer service.  Tandy is a great source - to too be sure I think their leather is too stiff for upholstery grade work - clear lacquer or leather lacquer would seal in the color however take away from the luxurious feel -
Kody  - That chair will now last many years - great sewing ! - I had a style chair like that this week - I'll post later

SA

MinUph

We run a fair amount of genuine leather through. I stick to a couple of tanneries that are known for quality. I have not seen any dies run or anything of that nature. Tandy leather is not a place I would frequent for upholstery grade leather. They sell leather for belts, general use leather, and such. In Kody's picture the original stools were done in the oversold faux leather. It is real crap and I see that at least once or twice a week either in person or in a pic from a customer. I have 8 chairs in the shop right now all pealed like that. We are putting fabric on them. I see leather full retail around 500 a hide and if a customer is willing to work with that I'm fine putting it on.
  As for the faux stuff the sales force that sells it as "leather" should be fired upon. Way to many customers are ripped off with this stuff. It should be against the law to do in the first place. I could see it on a $75.00 stool or a $100.00 chair but not on decent furniture. Just disgusting. And the stores don't cover it under warrantee.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website