Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:54:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help matching an existing interior vinyl

Started by bobbin, October 03, 2013, 12:37:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Unh... customer has a 2005 Beneteau, dinette (curved, every cushion is shaped) and salon settee in a very nice vinyl.  The two outer most seat cushions are cracked and really worn; he'd like to replace those (possibly the remaining seat cushions) but the match to the backs has to be pretty close.  The closest thing I can match is Ultra Leather (original is very supple and very fine grained, no manufacturer marking on the inside backing)  but I can't quite zero in on the color (weird beige/almond/grey).  Can any of you help me?  I've struck out with samples from Miami (all too "yellow) and I've had about as much success trying to find matches for "2005 Beneteau vinyl interiors".  I really don't want to order up another round of 4x4" samples but if I have to I will. 

JuneC

Do you not have an Ultraleather swatch card?  They're pricey, for sure.  If you have a small sample of the fabric you want to send, I could check my samples for a match.  Nautolex for a while also produced an Ultraleather look-alike (Duratouch) but it's not produced anymore.  I believe they have something new which also looks like Ultraleather, but I don't have one of those swatches.  Offhand, I don't remember the name of the new line.  Maybe Optima or Vista?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Thanks June.  Yes, I have the Ultra Leather card and have ordered a few samples.  I'm finding it really hard to get a good match to the original.  The drag for the customer is that all but two of the cushions are in pristine condition and because of the semi-circular configuration of the dinette they cannot be flipped over.  I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of sample books available... I have a pretty good eye for color and the owner and I both thought the first "round" looked pretty good but the swatches I requested were far too "yellow" when placed atop the cushion itself.  You oftentimes cannot tell if the match will work when you have to deal with 1-1 1/2" square "samples".   

Mojo

The tan/grey tones seem to be the hardest to match. I went through this dance a year ago.

I would contact Miami Mike and see about getting him a sample. He maybe able to find the match for you. He is very good at chasing down fabrics and colors.

Best of luck. These matches can be a real headache.

Chris

Mike

im of no help here but unless the guy want a simple cooler seat cushion in snow white  I let them decide picking from  sample then irsa there choise but I feel for you bobbin trying to match a exisiting vinyl color and then you have the texture that can be off but the rite shade