Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:37:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Business cards

Started by bobbin, June 22, 2012, 12:17:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

A graphic artist friend of mine is helping me with my business cards.  He sent me some proofs the other day with the following in large print:  Fine upholstery and Interiors.  Under that was:  cushions, slipcovers, draperies. 

I'm not an upholsterer, nor am I an interior designer and I feel the bold print conveys both of those.  But I'm not sure what to supstitute for either! what is it that I actually do?  "Home furnishings", "soft home furnishings", what?

Any suggestions for the "right" words would be appreciated!  I am stuck in a circular pattern of thought, lol. 

sofadoc

I don't think that the word "interiors" necessarily implies that you're an interior designer.
I like the term "soft home furnishings".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Why pidgeonhole yourself with a title? You could just do away with the upholsterer line altogether and the cards would still say what you do, and make perfect sense.
We got a card just today from a guy who delivers rock and mulch, etc. He just put what he does on his card, because the title of rock deliverer would probably sound dumb.
Anyway, we're going to call him when we need rock delivered.
Just a thought.

kodydog

June 23, 2012, 10:15:42 am #3 Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:33:04 pm by kodydog
Good point Jojo. Or, under your business name you could put serving the metro area for 20 years. Then a list of what you do. Don't try to jam too much info onto the card. Keep it light and airy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I knew you guys would offer something useful!  Thanks Jojo for suggesting I simply list the things I do rather than insisting on a secondary line to do that.  (told you I was thinking in a circular fashion).

I think I will add something to the effect of "skilled repair work" and/or "custom sewing is creative sewing" to the listing...

Funny how sometimes we can only "see" what's in front of us, not all the possibilities available, huh? 

sofadoc

Here's a business card that was given to me over 25 years ago. It sums up all the services that he provides in a nutshell. If I ever need a bongo drum, or an uprising quelled, I'm calling RAY BASSETT

jojo

I was gonna call him, but he forgot to put his number!

Mojo

I always advised my clients to be careful when advertising, selecting names for their business etc.

You can easily back yourself into a corner with selecting the wrong wording. In other words as JoJo stated you can pigeon hole yourself.

I have seen businesses select a name such as East Side deli, then they expand a few years later and open a second location - on the West side of town. :) I have also seen businesses create a name and logo with a select type of business function only to expand later into other areas. Same goes for ad copy and especially business cards, you want to carefully select wording which gives a general and broad coverage to your business. It is always easier to turn down work that is not within your area of expertise then to limit your scope with words and then have to back track with a separate ad campaign.

I used to look at every phone call or contact I got as a potential source of business. If their work is outside my area of expertise I explain my scope of work and typically they say " I am glad to know this. I have a buddy who has a motorcoach and I will tell him about you.". That is how I built my business......word of mouth.

My ad copy NOW states Custom RV Upholstery. I do this on purpose because I have no desire to expand outside of the RV industry. For you Bobbin you may want to someday do some canvas/awning projects if business is slow.

The one thing about business cards is they can easily and cheaply be re-printed once your logo is created. I am on my ???? version of cards and fourth version of rack cards. I go through about 1,000 a year with the rallys I do as they part of the stuffers for every attendees packet.

One last word of advice, check out Vista print for all your printing needs. I get my banners, rack cards, business cards etc through them. Fast, easy, I can edit everything online, order on line and they are cheap as compared to print shops.   www.vistaprint.com

Once you get your logo and copy done you can upload it to vistaprint and then create your card. One other word of advice, order in small quantities such as 250. This way if you make a change later your not throwing out 1,000 at a time. I always throw my old ones out and do not use them. I want my cards to stay current and if I changed them then I want this change reflected in every card I hand out. There was a reason why I changed them. Besides, these cards are so cheap it is not like throwing out $ 100 or more year.

Since I have started I have gone through so many different designs I cannot keep track of them. I change them every year it seems.

Chris

gene

June 26, 2012, 07:08:49 pm #8 Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:09:23 pm by gene
Key Facts
Ray E Bassett: Grand Prairie, Texas
Name   Ray Bassett
Find Ray Bassett Death Records
Social Security Number   458-16-8769
Date of Birth   June 07, 1897
Date of Death   March 12, 1985

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, sofadoc. You're going to have to find another source for your quelling of uprisings.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Geez, ole Ray must've croaked right after he gave me that card!

Something tells me that his computer verification skills would be somewhat lacking nowadays. But I have no doubt that even in his 80's, he could've still converted a virgin.

gene

It does look like he added to his business card as his talents and business ventures increased.

I wonder how many repossessed coffins were in the process of being used when they were repossessed?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

June 27, 2012, 04:46:24 am #11 Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:53:32 am by byhammerandhand
For sale: Used Coffin.  Low mileage, only one owner.  Non-smoker.

Quote from: gene on June 27, 2012, 03:17:16 am
It does look like he added to his business card as his talents and business ventures increased.

I wonder how many repossessed coffins were in the process of being used when they were repossessed?

gene

and:
http://www.carrscorner.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6388.msg44862#msg44862

Quote from: Mojo on June 26, 2012, 07:44:46 am
I always advised my clients to be careful when advertising, selecting names for their business etc.

You can easily back yourself into a corner with selecting the wrong wording. In other words as JoJo stated you can pigeon hole yourself.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison