Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 07:38:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Most important equipment

Started by bobbin, June 16, 2012, 02:46:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

What item do you think is the most important thing you've purchased for your shop?  (not a sewing machine).

sofadoc

Electric rotary cutter. Bought one a couple of years ago. Wish I had bought one about 10 years sooner. It's saved a ton of wear and tear on my "scissor thumb".
Other than that, I can't think of any single item that is head and shoulders above the rest.
There's like a "100 way tie" for second place. I really like my servo-motor, but it isn't like I couldn't live without it.
I guess the laptop deserves at least an honorable mention. But again, not something I couldn't live without.

Nice question. If you don't mind me tweaking it a bit......what tool aquisition (that you had really high hopes for) has been your biggest disappointment? For me, the EZ cushion stuffer. It only works on standard sized cushions, and any time savings is offset by the time spent digging the silk film out of the cover. But it makes a nice footstool.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I bought my first real power tool before I opened my first shop. It was a Craftsman radial arm saw.

I was taking a woodworking class in Hickory NC. When I told my teacher he said, nice tool if your building a house. I thought I had made a mistake.

Turned out to be the go to tool when I need to cut corner blocks, small pieces of plywood for bracing, or  lengths of wood to build up seat fronts and to raise skirts.

I have 6' of workbench on each side of it and it's always there when I need to make a cut. I used it today to build a stop at the end of my cutting table so stuff will stop falling off.

Tool I could do without? Every year around Christmas, Craftsman comes out with "gotta have tools". One year my wife bought me self adjusting pliers. Not vice grips but pliers that adjust to any size bolt to make it easier to get a grip. 3 different sizes. Used them a couple time but couldn't get the hang of them. They've been hanging on a hook for 15 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I'm pretty partial to my Engel hot knife.  I do a lot of work with acrylics and it not only cuts but sears the edges against fraying. 

I'm also pretty partial to my foam saw.  Acu-cutter 500 (both blades move). 

And I think pneumatics are totally cool!  Love the smooth operation of my stapler and want to try using it to paint things, too. 

My greatest source of frustration has been the right angle swing away binder... .  It just doesn't work properly in spite of several attempts at correcting whatever is wrong with it.  I haven't completely given up hope but haven't solved the issue, either. 

Mojo

I would have to say my Engle Hot Knife. I use it everyday since 95 % of my work involves acrylics.

A very close third is my servo motor. I HATE clutch motors with a passion. I never got the hang of controlling my machine with one.

I have a host of other little tools that make my life easier as well.

Chris

byhammerandhand

Delta Unisaw.  I just wish I'd started with it rather than working my way up to it.   But then, I'm a wood guy.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Cheryl

fav tools :   http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25206
  My 6" regulator (soooo handy)
  my Bosch foam cutter (well worth its weight in gold)

sorry POC's :  white plastic deco nail setter
                    "European" staple puller

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

mike802

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike

I was going to say hotknife also. But i could dtill make one things i cant do eithout besides my sewing maxhine would be my snaptools #1. Then my cordless guns for drilling installing snap stiluds or mounting s bimini frame. My bindiers.  And my frame measuring tools thoose i made. 
Gromett press last.