Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:13:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

buttoning

Started by bobbin, May 30, 2012, 01:30:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I am no upholsterer.  I did a futon cover that required buttons(there was an inner spring in it, too) .  I put 40someodd of those suckers in and I was surprised at how much work it was!  My co-worker is an experienced upholstery guy and he was so patient showing me how to put them on the tufting needle, secure the second button and then adjust them for evenness.  But wow! on a big item it took a lot of time and "flipping" to get it right. 

You upholstery guys have always inspired my respect, but that futon underscored it.  Sofa., how did your grandparents get the buttoning even on both sides of a horsehair mattress?? what was the set up they had to hasten the fiddley process?

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on May 30, 2012, 01:30:39 pm
You upholstery guys have always inspired my respect, but that futon underscored it.  Sofa., how did your grandparents get the buttoning even on both sides of a horsehair mattress?? what was the set up they had to hasten the fiddley process?
I don't remember any horsehair mattresses. They mostly did innerspring and cotton mattresses. The innerspring ones had a layer of sisal, which resembled horsehair. We had a big mattress sized table. The top was made of slats about 12" apart. This way you could stab your needle through the top, reach underneath, and pull the needle out of the bottom. It was a double pointed needle, so you could just move it over an inch, and poke it back through to the top an inch away from the other end of the twine, and tie it off. No buttons, just tufts. We did use the metal buttons on the old innerspring sleeper mattresses.
Frankly, they weren't all that meticulous about the evenness, or straight alignment of the tufts.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Double pointed needle?  the eye(s) are located below the point?  I don't "get" how it would work... could you explain that a little bit more?

And I clearly don't fully understand the difference between buttoning and tufting.  Buttoning uses button, but tufting is simply tied off?  (I'm picturing horsehair mattresses in old family "camps" that had buttons on both sides and the mothballs that were added when the camps were closed in the fall). 

sofadoc

Yeah the tufting twine resembled a shoe lace, flat so it didn't cut through the fabric. The needle had a point on each end with the eye just below one of the points:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Nails_Needles_and_Pins/Straight_Needles/Diamond_Point_-_Double/index.html

I still use a needle like this for going through a small hole in a wood bottom seat up through the top of the fabric. It's easier than stabbing from the top with a single point needle, and "feeling" for the hole.

bobbin

Ahh... and now dawn has broken over Marble Head. 

thanks!

Mojo

How ironic is that Bobbin.

I was on the phone to Dennis today seeing if he had a button covering machine for sale. We discussed button covering machines in addition to how to pour piss from a boot. :)

Which reminds me, Paul do you have a button making machine ? I need to make a few buttons.

Chris

MinUph

Yes I do Chris. Be home this Saturday if you want to use it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on May 30, 2012, 04:11:25 pm
Chris forgot to mention that he wants #40's, and he's going to use them on outdoor cushions. Does that complicate things? :D

Mojo

Quote from: MinUph on May 30, 2012, 04:11:25 pm

Thanks Paul. This is going to be my wife's project as I start back at making toppers and awnings Monday.

Dennis and I talked today about buttons and since I do not do furniture am not sure as to what size I should use for outdoor furniture. # 30 ???  # 40 ??? I am sure I am going to need to pick up some SS or non rust shells.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  I have dies for 30s and 40s but no SS shells if thats what your going to use. I have never used SS shells for anything and haven't had any problems through the years.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Thanks Paul.

I ordered the fabric yesterday. I believe she is going to get started on it in the next couple weeks.
I will let you know.

Chris

MinUph

Whenever your ready Chris
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website