Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:53:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thumbs up to Island Packet

Started by bobbin, April 23, 2012, 04:01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I'm re-doing the interior of an Island Packet 35, c. early 90s.  I'm recovering old foam and I'm working with leather (it's gorgeous)  And I am blown away by what a really QUALITY upholstery job the original was.  The foam is in fine condition after a thorough steaming  (the batting is gross, lol).  The fabric is soiled and worn, and the pattern is horribly dated.  But! whoever did the original work was very competent.  I have used the original covers as patterns after pressing the pcs. flat; they were that good!  (I almost never do that).

Every single aspect of the interior was meticulous.  One seat cushion to another... each one done the same way.  Every stapled on back... the same number or staples on every draw strip (12) and the spacing was uncanny.  Stainless staples.  There are interior zipper boxings to contain the knee rolls on the seats  and interior draw strips to contain the upper back detail of the seat backs.  Every detail in what are reasonably complicated cushions is beautifully thought through.  I have to salute Island Packet in their selection of the uholsterer; "production boats" often don't get much respect, but everything I've seen in the salon upholstery of the boat in question has been inspiring. 

I have pictures and this will be a good exercise in learning how to watermark my own pictures!

Mike

and the rest of the boats are prety darn nice too
bobbin if the seat wee stapled to a hard back why thre zippered pull and not just stapled loike a normal seat ?

kodydog

Being a furniture guy I had to look up Island Packet and got this, Island Packet Yachts - America's Cruising Yacht Leader.

Always good to hear when somebody gets it right. Would love to see the pics.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike