Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:15:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Estimating fabric

Started by bobbin, January 22, 2012, 01:56:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

OK, well, I received my first real "dope slap" with respect to estimating fabric today.  Project is a slipcover for sleeper sofa and putting pencil to paper after measuring I came up with 17 yds. of fabric (2 deck cushions and 2 back cushions, and arm protectors!).  I was aghast at the quantity, but I "went with it".  Well, today, after I cut the cushions and matched the front boxings, I looked at what was left over and wondered if I'd calculated properly.  I am shocked at the amount of fabric skirts can eat up!  I'll be OK, but there won't be much left over. 

Here's what has me scratching my head:  I calculated 17 yds. and it worked because the repeat on the fabric isn't that large (17").  Do you start with a plain fabric yardage and then factor in the repeat?  If the repeat is large do you figure one full repeat per cut?  My goal is to "idiot-proof" the fabric purchase since most of my customers are COM, and don't always go to full service stores where saleshelp can calculate yardage factoring in an individual fabric's repeat.  I'm still fumbling my way through how to "nest" the pieces required to get a pleasing result in the finished product.  Draperies are easy... you need so many repeats to get the match; it seems trickier with upholstery and slipcovering.  Am I missing something pretty easy and basic here? (maybe tied in to horizontal repeats?). 

sofadoc

Maybe this is one of those touchy subjects that's best discussed on a pro forum, but when I need 17 yards on a COM job, I tell the customer to get 20.

Growing up in the family upholstery business, I often saw my parents and grandparents work twice as hard on some jobs just because they were trying to squeeze a 17 yard job out of 15 yards.
I don't need that aggravation.

Most customers are buying cheap fabric anyway, so they usually don't mind getting an extra 2-3 yards.

If there does happen to be a few yards left over, I can always find a way to use it up. Self-deck, bigger arm covers, extra pillows, etc.

My system might not work for those who base their labor rates on the amount of yardage used.

But the bottom line in this particular case is, you estimated 17 yards, and that's exactly what it took. Good job!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Last week I underestimated a COM by 1/2 yard on a 20 yard job. It happens. Not very often but it does.
The customer was very understanding and said when she bought the fabric there was 1 yard left on the bolt. She ordered it and sent it to us. Now why didn't the fabric store just throw that 1 yard into the first order. Whats a fabric store going to do with 1 yard.

I wouldn't call a 17" repeat small. On that size repeat I would add 20%. That would have given you 3-1/2 extra yards. You may have some left over but what if, God forbid, you make a mistake.

We all try to cut the yardage as close as possible to keep the overall cost down, and get more jobs. But you have to be very careful not to shoot yourself in the foot.

You made the job work with what you had. And good for you. But I bet you spent extra time and stress doing it.  The other side of the coin is what do you do when you have two or three extra yards left? Some customers love leftover fabric and some customers don't.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on January 22, 2012, 04:45:33 pm
Maybe this is one of those touchy subjects that's best discussed on a pro forum, but when I need 17 yards on a COM job, I tell the customer to get 20.

Possibly!
But with a COM job you have to make up the loss of fabric profit. Doing the job without pulls, not trying to squeeze inches does save time. COM orders should be more yardage just so the loss can be made up in time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

When upholstering, I use decking material on the deck.

When making slip covers, I use face fabric for the deck, and, I have tuck ins around the deck and into the wings if the piece has wings. I do have pulls for upholstery. I basically use the same amount of fabric for slip covers and upholstery.

What I have done is googled for upholstery and slip cover yardage requirements and goodled for how much to increase the yardage for big repeats. I have a big collection of info that I have put into my own notes, including a chart of furniture pictures with the fabric requirements. My notes have been pretty good over the years.

I just had a repeat of 27"H and 29" V. I added 50% to the 11 yard requirement so I could do a full waterfall repeat.

And that's another issue: What type of repeat are you going to do? That can make a difference in how many yards you need.

Good comments, by the way, about COM.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on January 22, 2012, 05:48:07 pm
COM orders should be more yardage just so the loss can be made up in time.
Exactly!

As for Non-COM (fabric furnished by me), if I have any left over, it goes in my remnant rack. I'll sell it on a small job later. I only charge the customer for what I use, so the leftovers belong to me anyway.

As a form of encouragement for customers to buy fabric from me, I'll tell them that I require an extra 2-3 yards for COM. I warn them that the COM they're buying is probably seconds, or a close-out, so if I come up short, we're in trouble.

As for decorators/designers who are often furnishing expensive fabric, they usually order 4-5 yards too much anyway.
I suspect they keep the leftovers.....no.....wait....I KNOW that they keep them!
I have one decorator who routinely furnishes material for pillows that came from a previous job. Not only did she sell 4-5 extra yards of expensive fabric, but she sold it TWICE!

Is that dishonest? Technically, yes. But you have to remember, decorators are typically dealing with clientele that aren't happy, unless they overpay.
And most interior designers are more than willing to oblige.

Is this the kinda stuff that shouldn't be discussed in a public forum? ;)

fingers

So many pieces of furniture today are designed with railroaded fabric and have those wide cushions, intended for solid fabric by the manufacturer. On some applications adapting that width to a pattern that runs up the bolt of fabric can seem (and is in fact) wasteful to a degree.
Matching those skirt panels will really eat up repeats. It's smart to figure one full repeat per panel. Misc. cuts like welt fill in between.
My basic procedure is to start with the seat cushion, center the pattern allowing approx. 5 +/- at the rear and see how the next repeat lays out for the back cushion. In many cases some slight fudging from 'true' center will allow a back cushion to be cut above a seat.
  I spent many years working for a shop that routinely under estimated fabric. It's a practice that captures the full meaning of counter productive.
Think estimating by counting the repeats instead of measuring with a tape.

byhammerandhand

My decorator says yes; she'll be calling you.

Quote from: sofadoc on January 22, 2012, 09:24:04 pm

Is this the kinda stuff that shouldn't be discussed in a public forum? ;)

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

Thank you all for your replies. 

I was really horrified by the 17 yd. estimate (and had specified on a printed estimate that it was plain fabric!).  I know from many years of sewing that you can nestle pcs. and "save" fabric with forethought but I also know that when dealing with repeats you have to  have the requisite number of repeats per cut length or you're totally porked!

Fingers; thank you for your basic "one repeat per cut" rule of thumb.  Big help.  And I understand that "perfect" matches" on slipcovers are foolish, but planning the "perfect match" is really important. Thanks for the affirmation that skirts can eat up serious yardage, I was worried that I was overlooking some really basic way to save fabric. 

I am OK with vertical matches, but I don't think I'm fully up to speed with horizontal repeats and how to manipulate them with repect to upholstery and slipcovering.  Could any of you direct me to a clear, concise explanation? I'm not sure what I think I lack, but I always feel that "H" is waiting to bite me in the ass.  Capiche?

MinUph

You must be Italian bobbin,
  Finger has a good way of putting it. Figure by the repeat instead of by measurement. I'd still add a couple yds on top to be safe.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

fingers

Paul's right about the extra yardage, my suggestion was merely a guide line. (Paul's my hero) I'll bet you naturally think in inches/yards anyway.
Along the lines of your initial yardage est......I had to come up with a number for a big over sized chair a few weeks back. Measured out the chair, added it all together and came up right under 12 yds. Solid fabric no less. At first I was astonished and went back through my numbers and tallied it up again. Then threw in an extra yd for good luck, COM. When all was said and done it took every bit of 12 yds and a bit. Having the tad extra gave me some wiggle room, good thing too, fabric was white and dirt just spontaneously appears. I call it monochromatic psychoneurosis syndrome. I'll bet they have a long haired black cat that has run of the house.
Don't sweat it Bobbin, you'll pick up on it very quickly.

kodydog

monochromatic psychoneurosis syndrome. nothing a little penicillin wont take care of.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

January 25, 2012, 07:56:22 pm #12 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:02:20 pm by gene
That made me think of the refrain in Manhattan Transfers' song Coo Coo U:

Psycho Neurasthenic too much TV

Or, to make it germane to this tread: Psycho neurasthenia monochromatic psychoneurosis syndrome can result from spending too much time estimating fabric requirements.

(Is this the kind of reply we don't want our customers to read?) LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on January 25, 2012, 07:56:22 pm
Or, to make it germane to this tread: Psycho neurasthenia monochromatic psychoneurosis syndrome
I think I may have that, cause it hurts when I pee. :o

Quote from: gene on January 25, 2012, 07:56:22 pm
Is this the kind of reply we don't want our customers to read?

If we keep posting replies like this, maybe the customers will realize that there's no intelligent life here. Then they'll go back to more profound websites, like OMG!  ::)

CreativeCanvas

After effing up umpteen times. Nowadays I go in heavy. Always round up & order a lil extra?