Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:07:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's talk leather

Started by bobbin, January 13, 2012, 02:10:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I've been asked to work an estimate for a sailboat salon and the customer is set on leather (at least for now).  I have the measurements but I need to ask about how to vent the cushions so when the owner settles in on them he won't feel as though he's sitting on a balloon.  I know there are the little round thing-ys, but I'm thinking about using mesh on the zipper boxings instead. 

What do you use? how do you decide what to use? and if you opt for the little round guys, how do you know how many to use to get a good result?  Also, is there a special tool for adding them?

sofadoc

January 13, 2012, 02:51:51 pm #1 Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:59:25 pm by sofadoc
The round thingys are called ventilators. There are dies available for the Handy Jr. button maker, but they are very expensive.
There is an inexpensive hand setter available ($10-$20). You will need a punch to make a hole first. Depending on the ventilator size, the punch will need to be around 9/16".
Here are the tools: (scroll down to page 41)
http://www.hurtowniatapicerska.home.pl/katalog_narzedzi_tapicerskich_Osborne.pdf

Many leather pieces nowadays have a breathable cloth on half of one side of the cushion. The downside is that the cushion isn't reversable.

If you go the ventilator route, I would start with a couple on the back zipper panel. then you can try it out, and add some on the side panels if you still feel like you need to. The firmer the foam.....the less "koosh" you will experience.

Your mesh idea might work also.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Thanks!  (commit to memory:  "ventilators")

Yacht interiors are commonly not reversible, and the original cushions are certainly not since they have knee bolsters.  That was one reason I thought about using mesh as the lower portion of the zipper boxing. 

I am about to do my research on quality vinyls as I see leather as a very expensive, less than perfect choice for the interior.  I know leather has a certain cache, but it's expensive and I'm not entirely sure it's the best alternative for an interior that is all about moisture and heavy wear and tear.  Personally, I'd go for vinyl.  I intend to offer some very nice vinyl alternatives because experience has taught me that many customers really have no idea how good vinyls are nowadays.

mike802

I like the feel that a half fabric bottom gives to a leather cushion, but like mentioned it is not reversible.  Some customers are ok with that, and some cushions are not reversible anyway.  The next best thing is the ventilators, never tried the mesh idea, a fabric zipper placard might accomplish the same thing.  I agree that leather is probably not the best choice for a boat, but what ever way the customers goes, vinyl, or leather the they still have the same problem as far as venting air goes.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

JuneC

I'd highly recommend Brisa Soleil (by Ultrafabrics) for the look and feel of a soft leather that you can actually sit on in a salty, wet swimsuit or Nautolex Duratouch.  For a firmer feel, get hold of one of Miami Mike's Softside swatch cards.  The vinyls are very reasonably priced and offer a really nice variety of colors, textures, and finishes. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Even if you go with vinyl you still need to allow the cushion to breath. Not only the balloon affect but it will blow out the seams. No place for the air to go. On a standard cushion size I use 6 ventilators. Fabric zipper or bottom is really better but allows more moisture in.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Has anyone told you recently how fabulous you guys are?  Well, you are!  I knew some sort of "pressure release" would be required but wasn't sure quite how to get the job done.  Big thanks to all of you for your quick responses and valued suggestions about quality vinyl alternatives to leather.  Means a "wicked lot" to me.  Really. 

Darren Henry

Quotea fabric zipper placard might accomplish the same thing

That would have been my suggestion. Cushion is then still reversible and no tools and stock to buy and hold . Ventilators don't come in 6 packs with a free set of dies that I know of. ;D
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Whatever you decide be sure to discuss it with the customer. Tell them what your going to do and why. That gives the customer confidence that you know what your doing and there will be no surprises when you deliver it.

When I need vents I use grommets and spray glue a piece matching fabric over it (on the inside of course). I usually use 4 on the zipper. Use more if needed.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

I'm working on my 2nd leather repair this week. Interesting thing is both sofas are 100% leather. Not a bit of vinyl on either. Although lots of piecing together on outside backs, simi-attached inside backs and cushions. Both were made in China but makes me wonder if vinyl is getting so expensive that manufacturers are starting to go with all leather.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html