Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 30, 2024, 12:45:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Webbing/ seat vs. back

Started by bobbin, December 04, 2011, 11:09:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I am no upholsterer.  I am a sewing machine jockey.  BUT, how important is the difference between the webbing for seats and that for backs? how do you tell the difference between the two?

kodydog

You can use seat webbing for backs but I wouldn't use back webbing for seats. If that's all you have maybe you can double-up on it. I noticed on Mikes wing chair video he used the red threaded (thick) webbing on the back and black thread (thin) on the arms.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Are we talking about jute? If so, Kody nailed it. Red stripe for seats. Black stripe for backs. But in a pinch, just use red on both. But I mainly use the polypropylene (synthetic) webbing anyway. Yes, I know that is blasphemy to traditional purists. But since it doesn't rot like jute, and I get 3x's as much for about the same price, I don't care.

If we're talking about the Pirelli substitute  "Elasbelt", the back grade is much stretchier than the seat grade.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

December 04, 2011, 04:23:07 pm #3 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:33:20 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on December 04, 2011, 12:25:18 pm
. But I mainly use the polypropylene (synthetic) webbing anyway. Yes, I know that is blasphemy to traditional purists. But since it doesn't rot like jute, and I get 3x's as much for about the same price, I don't care.

I agree Sofa. Some people say it stretches more but I don't see it. Unfortunately my supplier doesn't offer it. I know I could find it if I wanted but gotta go with whats easily available.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

ahkahn

Sofadoc is correct.  The difference is seen in the color of the lines.  What is the technical difference?  Simply the weight.  The red line is a heavier one (11 oz.).  The black line is a 9 oz. jute.

-Andrew