Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:05:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help with upholstering kids Chiropractic table

Started by pentzy, July 12, 2015, 07:48:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pentzy

So i am extremely new to upholstering, but have decided to build a kids Chiropractic table.  I made a .5 x 7" opening in the plywood base and a 2 x 7" opening in the foam.  My original plan was to cut the vinyl and wrap it through to the underside of the wood.  However, I am unsure how to properly cut the vinyl to wrap it properly.  I am following the golden rule, "measure twice, cut once."  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Here is the link, it was too big for the post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oxl9u31n4j2cbp/2015-07-12%2010.16.51.jpg?dl=0

Darren Henry

Your best bet would be to sew in a gusset. cut your top vinyl to the notch in the foam leaving a seam allowance. Then sew a strip of vinyl wide enough to allow a seam allowance and enough to work with after you pass it through the wood,to the notch in the top vinyl. Think of it as lining the hole.

I would also suggest you cut the plywood to the same size as the notch in the foam. That way you are working with straight lines and square corners.Not only will that make it alot easier for you, it will give a much nicer finished look as the vinyl will be supported by the foam all the way down. grin It'll also keep the kids with big noses from getting stuck to the vinyl LOL.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I've done many adult tables. I don't understand why the opening in the wood base is only 1/2" wide. On the ones that I've done, the wood cut-out is the same as the foam cut-out.

For example, if my cut-out is 2" wide and 6" deep, I cut the vinyl accordingly (minus a 1/2" seam allowance).

Maybe there is some aspect of a kid's table that I'm not understanding.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Pardon my manners. Welcome to the board Pentzy. Feel free to ask away; we're all here for each other.

That was so un-Canadian of me----No maple syrup for a week! Bad troll! LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

pentzy

I guess the only reason I made the wood slot smaller was thinking it would use less material to reach it when I attached it to the wood.  But really thinking about it, it probably uses more.

I figured I could sew additional material to help cover wrap it, but of course I don't have a sewing machine.  So i was hoping to avoid that route if possible.

So I will match the wood cutout to the foam cutout, which makes sense.  To sew the vinyl I would have to do it by hand.  Or just take it to an upholstery place and have them do it! haha

kodydog

July 12, 2015, 06:15:25 pm #5 Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:22:19 pm by kodydog
Pantzy, welcome to this group. Hope you don't mind if I ask a few personal questions.

Are you a Chiropractor? If you are and I'm not trying to be a snob here but if you are this job may be better left to a professional. Sometimes a customer comes to us with an idea in there mind as to how they want something done. But then physics comes into play. You will not be able to stretch the fabric into the slot and end up with a professional looking job.

If you are trying to break into the Chiropractic table industry I think everyone here will wish you the best of luck and give you as much support and advice as possible. We have all been right where you are. Just starting out. Your table is going to need a sewn gusset like Daren suggests. This will have to be sewn on an industrial sewing machine. Big investment if this is just a one time job but if you are planing on manufacturing these tables an industrial sewing machine will be your first big investment along with an air compressor and staple gun.

I guess what I'm getting at is why are you building this table?

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

pentzy

I am a Chiropractor and I decided to build a kids table because I didn't want to pay upwards of $500 for a table.  I had a few ideas on how to make the headpiece and decided to go this route because construction-wise it was the easiest way to build.  I didn't anticipate the wrapping of the top to be as difficult as it has proven to be.  I was just hoping this thread could share some idea or insight

MinUph

Hello and welcome pentzy,
  I would say to take the board to an upholsterer along with the vinyl and the thickness of the fabric your using and have them sew the slot up for you. Won't cost much and you can then put it together. Your patients noses will appreciate it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website