Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 01:56:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

?? For the marine or canvas people.

Started by MinUph, November 07, 2011, 05:42:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

You know Paul if I have one typo this intutive spelling it has can change a word entirely  to gibberish  unless ireread and catch it

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveMoke

My eyes hurt when I try to read Mike's post's  :o

DBR1957

Paul - Here's a quick sketch of what Mike and I are talking about.

If the angle is less than 90 degrees then you can slide the jaw up the main
bow and it will raise the center somewhat. If it's more than 90 degrees then
sliding it down may have the same affect.

Of course this is assuming you have the adjustable jaw slides. Over the years
I have seen some that are actually a channel screwed or welded to the up side
of the main bow.

Hope you can get a pic this weekend.

Peppy

All good advice. You might find 'shimming' out the middle bar will help. ie making the middle bar longer to take the slack out of the stretched canvas. 7/8" round tube fits inside 1" square I think? You probably only need an inch or so.

DBR is right though factory pontoon canvas that fits nice does not exist. 
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Looks like the center bow need to be higher reposition I think higr in the main bows. And the front straps I don't see them but need to be tighter also   Pullung from as  high as posible though to get a good pull the side gates look in the way.
Paul are you on. Canal or the moat anyway look like a boat lift guide post there.
Nice day for s cruise hey ?

MinUph

The front straps are there and yes the gates are in the way of a better pull but they are tight. No matter how tight I get them the sags don't come out. I adjusted the read end posts and it helped but its still saggy in the front section. I think the pocket for the secondary bow is to far back. Sewing it closed a little would help to hold the secondary bow forward a little but it would be very tight around the bow. There are zippers on these pockets though so I could get the bow back in.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

just thinking the same after looking again. Inthink the easiest thig would be to hold upmthe bows with somme stealing tape to make it looks better them mark to deposition the pockets. It there a second bow on the rear frame? As far as te strap it would be best to have them close to the canvas if not to make a hole it the canas s pocket to have the forward strap pull fromas close to the top. And I'd pull at a 90•
angle  from the frame even if I had to have a eye pad forward of the gate to pull better.   
If you need advise we all will help if you just rather make a new canvas.

Peppy

http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

MinUph

This top is part of a full camper canvas. I doubt I could ever make a new one to work with the rest of the sides, back and front drop sections.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Paul I find that you will probly never use them here I havnt made a pontoon enclocure encephalitis I moved to Florida. I did make a screen enclosure.  Do you have a full cover or seat covers for the boat or do you use the e closure to cover them?

DBR1957

Sorry Paul but nothing is right on that setup. Where did you get it? Did it come with the
boat? Are you the original owner of the boat.

1)  The back frame is obviously an add on. The hardware is different.
2) Wrong setup. From the angle of the tops I can tell both frames are intended to be mounted
   on the same plane. Meaning the top of the rail. Since the rail cuts off at the rear this can't
   happen.
3) Even without the camper top the bimini is not right. The bimini is the starting point and must
   be correct before any consideration of the camper.
4) The zippers in the pockets tell me this is a remake. I have never seen a factory bimini for a
   pontoon boat with zippers in the pockets.
5) Assuming this is a remake, it's possible the frame was taken apart and not put back together
   correctly.  Try swapping the center bows and/or rotate the top.

MinUph

The top came with the boat. I am not the original owner. There have been a few things about the craft that was kinda halfA*% if you know what I mean. It is possible the last owner took it off for some reason and put it back on wrong. It wouldn't surprise me  ;D
  I'll probably pull the boat this winter for a month or so and will try to make the top fit better as per your suggestions. I'm not all that disappointed with it except the fact that it puddles water when it rains. The top stops the sun so for that I'm happy.
  Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

FYI most pontoons insee do have zippered pocket due to most having a anchor light installed on the rear of the top and without a hole for the light and zippered the top could not be installe don the frame therfor the zippers   
If you wernt so far north Paul and winter being the busy season I'd run up to help.