Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 07:58:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstery fabric Companies

Started by foxedge, October 13, 2016, 09:43:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

foxedge

Hello fellow upholsterers. I recently found this site and was hoping for a little assistance.
I have been a one man shop for almost 30 years, and for the past 15 years or so I have worked with only designers. I am now going into semi-retirement mode and switching back to reupholstering for retail customers. The reasons... less stress, and after being secluded for so many years I need to get out more, meet people etc.

So I am starting from scratch. I want to be able to offer fabrics to those that do not want to find their own. I used to have accounts with lots of companies.  In the old days the big ring books were perfect for showing fabrics. They had a nice selection of a variety of fabrics, velvets, tapestries, textured patterns in different colors etc.

Does anyone do this anymore. I only want a few books preferably with assorted types of fabric. I just opened an account with Stout. Can someone suggest which company would be a good choice for reasonably priced fabrics. I used to have Barrow, Burch,Kravet, Duralee, Robert Allen,etc. I live in the northeast. Kravet, Duralee, Robert Allen are all higher end than I want to offer. Of these companies which would be the best choices? Charlotte fabrics, United fabrics, National Fabrics, Douglass Industries, Barrow Industries, any others?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated

MinUph

I like Chalotte and sell a good amount with United. I have a room full of samples so just having a few would not work for me. I have people spend alot of time looking. The ring books are all but gone. I actually have two smaller versions that rarely get picked up. Some helpfull books are the hard covers that show coordinating fabrics un the same page. United has some. Greenhouse is also a nice line along with fabricut. I carry several others but you dont want a lot of books, so keep it simple.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

I would consider buying fabrics from somewhere close and there should be several in the northeast.

Some charge for their samples, so keep that in mind.

The logic is, suppliers want customers who buy.  So, it works better for both sides if the shop (a smal shop) will focus on one possibly two suppliers.

Welcome to the group.

Doyle