Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:51:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jeep Zipper Headache

Started by jojo, August 11, 2012, 03:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So I made the mistake of taking a job replacing the rear window zipper on a jeep top.
I bought the zipper from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Zipper-YKK-Jeep-Zipper-10-Coil-2-Heads-Black-/350485161721?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1259930058794193651%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

I was led to believe that this was the correct zipper, but it only has one slider (even though the ad says "double head". It's a #10 coil separating zipper. The original has two pulls so that you don't have to take the whole window out, and you can roll it up.

Is there a way to get another pull on the zipper? I'm afraid I have to track down the proper zipper and re-order.  :(

JuneC

Been there, done that ???  Never again.  Got the correct zipper here...

http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com/catalogs/store.asp?pid=241132

Lost $$ replacing it.  PITA it was.  No more.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thanks June. Yes, this will be my new policy as well...no more!

Mojo

Turned a jeep cover job down 6 months ago. After reading this I am glad I did. :)

I did a restitch on a cover for a Chevy Tracker ( my own ) and swore off that kind of work.
It is a royal PITA.

Chris

jojo

Ok, got the right zipper, but how exactly do I go about this? The jeep top doesn't really lay flat; it is concave where the corners of the frame would be. It seems like the only way would be to sew one half on the window first and the other half on the top and pray that it works?? Help!

JuneC

August 14, 2012, 06:53:36 pm #5 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:54:10 pm by JuneC
Do you have a sailor's palm?  Yep... sew by hand.  I swear by my sailor's palm.  I've used it on more than a few occasions. 

June

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thanks June, but I meant I can't get it to lay flat enough to mate the two pieces together. I'm assuming you do it the same way you do a curved zipper on canvas...put tape on the zipper and tape it down to both pieces so you can match it up? Or am I way off?

scarab29

kinda like a u smile zip on a boat window. Sew the large radius first and then make the small radius or inside curve match, passed on one last week. Sometimes I get these guys in since there isa auto top guy around the corner. I send them over there. I will order a new pre made complete top for their jeep though.  :P
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

I refuse to handsets don't have the tools and don't want them.
I've been asked to do it so. RAther then pull staples take a skin off to resew.

JuneC

Like Scarab said - sew the larger radius first.  The corners will probably have to be sewn by hand.  Mark, then sew the inside edge to fit.  I sewed the straight bits by machine, but the ends and corners can't fit under the needle - at least they didn't on the top I had.

June

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thanks guys. I did it. There was soooo much zipper tape left in the corners to ease in it was difficult. I was able to get it in the machine, due to the top having removable plastic inserts at the sides. Customer hasn't called me back, so I'm hoping it worked!