Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:35:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Installing Skins on Car Seats

Started by jojo, July 03, 2012, 06:40:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Just curious, how much would you guys charge to install pre-made skins on a 60's GTO? Bench seat bottom and back, two buckets, and 4 door panels? Or should I ask how long would it take to do it?

Thanks!

zanepurcell

On thought that comes to mind on this is that if the seat covers are well made, they will have listing that you will need to cut at both ends and insert a rod and secure it to a seam in the foam. The other thought is that it doesn't have a giant heavy front bench seat to deal with... My fear would be of the unknown. You never know what may or may not still be there on the seats after 50 years. I guarantee you will find someones life story in the cracks when you tear it all down... You know what your time is worth to you. Consider things like removing a door panel and finding major water damage. Consider whether they bought the skins or whether you are selling them and getting a markup. Consider why the customer got this far and wants you to install them. Compare the cost you would charge to fab the entire thing and install it, subtract the fab time and most of the materials cost, add some aggravation, and consider that the customer wants it professionally installed.
Zane

DBR1957

Whatever you estimate, don't forget to tell the customer it doesn't include required repairs
you can't see until you get it apart.

Broken springs, rusted mounting bolts, worn out foam, broken frame, broken or ripped out
door panel clips,etc.

Also, no warranty on the final fit of the new skins. You didn't make them and can't be held
responsible for the workmanship.