Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 12:06:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Had A Bad Day

Started by jojo, June 20, 2012, 06:41:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Had to fit side curtains in 100 degree weather (about 200 degrees inside the enclosure on the boat).  Put the bimini on, which looked great, then started to fit the windshield and side curtains. Got about 2/3 down one side panel before I realized that one of the set screws on the crappy old aluminum frame wasn't firmly in place and had moved at some point during the fitting. It probably moved a couple of inches but so screwed everything up! :'(
I'm not real confident in this aspect of marine canvas; most folks around here want covers for their small boats or the seats re-done.
And to top it all off, there's something weird happening with my knee. Swollen and black-and blue.
Ok, just needed to vent. Thank you. That is all.

Grebo

Oh dear jojo, I feel for you.
I hate fitting, patterning or anything on the boats when it's really hot.
Particularly on the fly bridge, steel poles you could BBQ on, tools get to hot to handle & you sweat so much your clothes stick in all the wrong places  :(
I have resorted to big silly hat & cotton gloves before now  ???

Deep breath, chill out for a while & have another go.  :-*

Suzi

Peppy

I hate it too but, it's not a sweat shop if you're not sweating!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

I am so glad I do not do marine work. It just looks like it could be a royal pain in the butt.

Very sorry to hear you had a bad day. What is up with your knee girl ? Better have that looked at.

Lets hope the rest of the week is better for you.

Chris

JuneC

Oh how I hate enclosures in the summertime.  You're so right about the temps.  It's worse than a greenhouse - more like an oven on "Low".  You really have to be careful to not get heat exhaustion. 

Sometimes when I screw something up like that, I just have to walk away for a day.  The frustration inhibits your ability to correct the problem.  Look at the issue objectively and maybe you can come up with a fix that doesn't require a complete re-do of that piece. 

Hope your knee is better today. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thanks guys! Yeah, I had to replace one panel entirely, but now it looks real pretty. I still have a deadline that it looks like I'm not gonna make, though. I hate letting a customer down.  It's one of those things where I gave him a time estimate, but seriously miscalculated when I could actually get to him.

bobbin

Not patterning, but my day was pretty horrible, too.  Worked hard on a project only to discover that the 3 partial rolls of fabric I was given to do the job were the wrong shade of the color in question.  Was reminded at least 4 times today of what I "should have" done. 

Really looking forward to tomorrow! NOT. 

Jojo, I sure hope the knee thing is nothing major and improves quickly.  It's really hot here, too.  It makes everything a lot harder than it ought to be, huh?  Hang tough. 

Mike

Hope you day goes beter jojo tomorow.  Uve messed up
Like thwt with a loose frame on patterning only to catch it too late and isnt it freat when the top is on nice snd cool in the shade then each window goes  on one. BY one and gets hotter and hotter   
A real treat in the summer here.
Today was cliudy today and i was aboto pattern a top end enclosure beocre the rains came and. Oy did it pour this afternoon.