Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:29:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Another Cover Question

Started by jojo, May 18, 2012, 05:30:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Ok, so I'm doing a cockpit cover for a cute little Four Winns, and at the back there are three of these plastic thingys that hold a small loop of shock cord:

I pried one apart, but there seems to be no way to reuse it, because there is no way to rethread new shock cord in there. (the shock cord is worn out on all three). 
So what's an alternative? All I could come up with is to sew the shock cord loops under a piece of webbing, or has anyone ever seen these devices for sale somewhere?
Thanks guys!

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

May 18, 2012, 06:39:00 am #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:39:50 am by Grebo
I have some of those, the bungee has some kind of flat hog ring crimped on the ends  ???
The ends are pushed into the body bit with a big plastic plug forced into the back. Has like a screw driver slot in it. size is about 1" x 3/4" ish.
I bought them to try out & never used them  :-[
I think they have been discountinued, here at least.
If you want some, send me your address I will pop some in the post if you like. I have 10 of them.

Suzi

bobbin

I don't see those used very much.  I don't personally think they last very well.  And I think you have to have some sort of set tool to secure them properly, but that may be just one specific sort of them. 

DBR1957

More and more covers are coming with those. They work fine for enclosure panels
but not so well for cockpit covers. The get stretched to the max when the support
poles

Those are the old style and have been redesigned because they used to pull
through. The new ones are round, about the size of a quarter and require a
smaller hole to attach. They have a much bigger backing plate also. There is no
re-using the the knob.

They only come in one size aftermarket, but I've seen longer/shorter ones come on
OEM canvas. I asked about a crimper and a box of crimps but Manart says tools
won't be available. Would sure be nice to have them so we could adjust the
length.

Mike

Dbrs right thoose are old.
The Oy oes I've seen use the. Prety much was four win s and sea ray on the stern as the transome agle didn't work with a normal snap.

jojo

Wow, thanks guys! I will order some; ya see something new every day on this job!

Peppy

We use them on zodiac covers. They sell a little clip that goes on the bunjjie and hooks on the rub rail of certain zodiacs. DBR, I saw somewhere they sold different lengths of bunjjie. I can't remember where... Maybe on the Stayput website? It would be nice to have the crimper allthough I think they suck as curtain fasteners. I would never want them on my boat, but they do have uses.

I like how they take something that works great and for a long time, like a snap, and replace it with something that'll rot away in a year or two and call it an improvement.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

DBR1957

Peppy - The Stayput site does show different sizes but I think most distributors
only carry one size.

http://www.stayputfasteners.com.au/index_2.html

I think they're ok for enclosure curtains to allow some flexibility for temp changes.
We don't do many Zodiac covers.