Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:30:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Would Any Of You Ever

Started by jojo, May 04, 2012, 06:38:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

make a bimini pattern from the old one, provided it hasn't shrunk, or does it absolutely have to be done from scratch and patterned on the frame? Thanks!

Mike

If the old one futs  sure   Ive done pontoon toon top where it has shrink up skinny on one side.
Ill mark the good fir side and make the new top with  hafl a pattern ala peppy

Toon owners sre generaly. Hesp so i cut cost were i can   

JuneC

I did one just about two weeks ago because I basically had no choice.  It's been blowing here for the past two months and it was impossible to get plastic to stay on the frame.  For about 3 weeks it was blowing out of the East at 25 to 30.  This past week or two it's been 30 to 40.  Just finally subsided about 2 days ago. The marina where the boat was stored is between two high buildings - one about 3 stories, the other 5 stories.  It's like working in a wind tunnel.  The top came out fine.  Not the best I've ever fit one, but certainly acceptable. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scarab29

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

I would not. Time 'saved' by not patterning is easily spent trying to fix it later. Not to say we've. Ever done it, but every time we try we learn the lesson over again why you shouldn't. 4 hours patterning guarantees you a good fit. Or you can gamble all your hours sewing and all the material on hoping it works. Two sayings come to mind; Garbage In Garbage Out, and 'you can't polish a turd'

(truth be known, you can polish a turd but you'll end up with sh*t all over your hands.)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

timtheboatguy

I have done it with success and failure too. Like Mike says, Make sure the old bimini fits good or at least mark it up as needed. Also, agree with Peppy, there is no substitute for a good pattern job.

I deal a lot with pontoon boaters so the standards are not quite so Yacht like ;D
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Eaglewis

Have you marine guys/gals learned to do these on your own or were you taught. Are there any good marine upholstery books or dvds out there you would recommend?

Thanks,
Wade

timtheboatguy

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Eaglewis

Thanks Tim! The first 2 are a bit out of my price range, for now. But just browsing the Sailrite videos, there are some very informative ones there. And the price is right, FREE! :-*

Thanks again,
Wade

jojo

Ok, so how exactly would you go about making the pattern: do you dissassemble the original, or just lay it out and trace it? I've always patterned biminis. Thanks!

Mike

May 12, 2012, 08:06:51 am #10 Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:12:30 am by Mike
Well JoJo it's mostly as far as I remember pontoon tops usualy one side has a hole or is shrunk up on the curve of the frame usualy there is a anchor light  on the rear and the hole holds the rear of the top in place but the front has skinned up on bolth side do I'll pull the tool hole less side of the front down over the. Urge where it should be   Then I mark the. CEnter of the front. Bow and the rear where the hole is I take off the top and cut it in half  opening up any darts then I just tranfer as normal to new canvas  opti g the one side reversing for the opposite.
If I see I can get a good pattern and it will save me the time to set up and pattern it will save me money  and I'll do it.  Otherwise I'll pattern new

Mike

JoJo my mistake usualy
It's jus a toon top but I have done and entire boat on a few occoationd this mainsail I did it in tan a out 8 years ago it still on my website well last year the owners hit by wind and damaged it
Do I remade the whe thing using the old as my pattern it was still good  for that but had told pockets sindow zippers ect

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/photo-81-1.jpg

Darren Henry

Quoteand 'you can't polish a turd'

(truth be known, you can polish a turd but you'll end up with sh*t all over your hands.)

I never had that problem. But then again; I am north of the lakes and only offered this service from December to March.  ;D  (when they are frozen).

If I have my butt burned or bitten one more time by trying to "save time" etc and copying an old piece of something I won't be able to sit down. If you have to do it---cover your six.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!