Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 10:34:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mobile Boat Canvas Question

Started by timtheboatguy, May 12, 2012, 02:38:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I was thinking about setting up a sewing machine in my van to make final alterations because often it takes me more thatn one trip to get things right. Then I started thinking about why not just do the whole job on site?? I know this will be a PIA as I have worked mobile most of my life. Are there any of you canvas guys doing this, and where do you find room for cutting and paterning etc? Do you charge extra for this service?

Trying to figure out how to be more efficient ;D

Tim
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

I first starter in Florida with a 18' en losed trailor with the table agai st the left wall and 60" wide cor the FS ric it didn't leave much room widthsise I did do a few. If. 32+' boats.  But towing everyday was a pia I I did time leaving it overnight unless it was a gated marina.
And parking in a highly developed   Canal  community  wasn't always available.  I like your ides of theaet minute fix there seems to be a little Adjustment tou could do if you had a dedicated I stall. An eith a little table and machine set up you need a generator also as you don't always have power were you can park

forsailbyowner

Ive been working out of a 33' sail boat for some time now. I have a 10'x5' canvas table that stretches from the forestay to the mast, tightened drum tight with the mast winch. For smaller stuff I have a 5'x4' hard table that sets up below in the setee. I run the sewing machine off an inverter. The smaller table also mounts to the mast and I can set up the bendarc and crownarc on that. When its windy I have a cover that encloses the canvas table that is like a tent from the waist up. I usually dinghy to the work to avoid dealing with the marinas.

Mojo

Like Mike I started out in a 8x20 enclosed car trailer. I used the ramp door as my cutting table and had the machine setup inside and off to one side allowing me to pass through. The front end of the trailer was used as storage.

I wouldn't want to go back to that setup for nothing. Large pieces of fabric were hell moving around and sewing. Cutting while hunched over on the ramp door about killed my back. I was constantly stepping on myself and everything else in the trailer as I moved about.

Thankfully business was slow back then and I didn't do a whole lot of work. I believe the trailer concept for doing on site changes or alterations would be feasible but as a full time sew shop it is hard.

Chris

jojo

I have also thought about this from time to time, but another issue (one of many) that keeps me from doing it: seems like it would be really really hot in an enclosed trailer in the middle of summer!

Mike

I had ac my 5k genera. Generator had a it.could do. Strip lights
Ac unit and two sewing machines I. Ould t start them all at once