Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:47:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Losing the battle with spammers

Started by 65Buick, November 09, 2017, 02:20:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inger-in-Norway

I'm away from home to a funeral and am staying with friends, so I cannot log in here as often as I can from home. I have just chucked out some 40+ spam posts. I plan now, for a period, not to accept any new forum members who try to register, to see if that helps.

MinUph

Inger,
  Is it possible this software is more prone to attacks than other forum SW? Maybe its time to make a change and use something more up to date spam wise?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Inger-in-Norway

Thank you, kodydog.

I found some settings that I applied, and that might help. The change may, however, also affect your own posting, in that you may have to answer security questions. Try it out, and let me know what you think.

MinUph

November 10, 2017, 11:35:46 am #5 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:36:22 am by MinUph
Testing for security questions.

NO SECURITY QUESTIONS ASKED HERE.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Inger-in-Norway

If what I've done works correctly, you must make more than two posts fairly soon after each other. I didn't want to makeit too cumbersome for you. ;) Just post in this thread a couple of test messages. i'll get rid of them afterwards.

Also, it would be interesting to see what happens if one or two of you would try to register, under a different user name and mail address. And please post here which user name you use, so that I can let you in.

sofadoc

This is a test. This is only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, you would've notified where to tune for further instructions. This concludes this test. We now return you to regular programming.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

kodydog

MinUph

I could only post once. I get the error of I just posted in the last few seconds or something like that, I have gotten this error all along sometimes even when I only try to post once. This forum sw is buggy. I also have posed several times over the years and the post never shows up. Just a FYI Admin.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Inger-in-Norway

Thanks for testing. I will remove those test posts in a day or two.
I found a way to set a 'CAPTCHA', you know one of those things with some jumbled up letters and numbers with some lines going through, and also a place to set security questions. I actually thought this would have been done long time ago, before I got involved in this.
I registered myself with a different user name and address and found that the captcha was quite difficult to read, so I may remove it and add a third security question instead. Anyway, I have seen no spam since I did this.
Would some of you try to go through the registering process, to see if it seems too difficult?

sofadoc

November 11, 2017, 06:57:34 am #14 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:02:41 am by sofadoc
I registered as denco. You can delete it.

I got the message saying that admin. must approve before I can start using the account. I believe that in the past, Ken didn't want to have to take the time to approve everyone, so that's probably why we never had captcha or security questions.

I didn't have any problems, though.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban