Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 03:12:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Have You Ever Referred Work Out ?

Started by Mojo, August 04, 2010, 06:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just sent one of my customers to another stitcher for him to give a quote and perform the work on four  slide topper awnings for a motorcoach.

With my sewing shop not done I was unable to do it myself. I wanted to be sure this guy was taken care of because he is a member of an RV owners forum I belong to and I want to be able to get future business from these people as there are several thousands members who belong to this owners group. They in turn belong to other forums with thousands of members. :)

I would have loved to do the work myself but with everything scattered and no place to work I couldn't. So I needed to contact someone that I knew did awesome work, was a true professional and would give the guy a decent quote.

So what is a guy to do ? I contacted my buddy Mike and asked if he wanted to give a quote. I trust Mike and I know his work is some of the best. I gave him all the specs and the type of material to use. Hopefully, Mike will get the job. What is cool is that it is a mail order job so Mike can sew the toppers and send them off. :)

Incidentally, Mike has done the slide toppers before so he understood the work. If I got any requests for Bimini's or other marine work I would surely send that work to Mike or June. I know both are excellent stitchers and any customer I would send to them would be well taken care of.

It got me wondering, has anyone else gotten so busy or maybe got a job that was out of their area of expertise and passed it off to someone else ? Have you ever made referrals to another upholsterer who was out of your area ?

Chris

sofadoc

Sure. All the time. I refer out ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that I don't want to do myself (cars, boats drapes,etc.). But one difference in my area, is that there aren't too many shops that do ALL PHASES of upholstery work. The ones that DO really aren't that good at any one phase.  I don't really have another nearby furniture man that I would feel comfortable attaching my reputation to. So, if it's a furniture job, and for some reason, I either can't get to it, or simply don't want the job, I leave it up to the customer to find their own guy.
At the tender age of 52, some might say that I'm too young to be so crotchety when it comes to accepting work. But I no longer feel it necessary to jump on every job that comes through the door. If I sense that the customer is going to be difficult, or that the job won't be profitable, I have no reservations about passing it up. I have a wonderful grandson that I enjoy spending time with, so I'm not too terribly interested in beating myself up on work that I don't really want.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I am pretty picky on the work that I accept. I do not do marine or Auto work but will pretty much do anything else. I love small jobs actually and get a lot of those. But my expertise lies in RV's with the vast majority of my business being solar screens.

It killed me to hand off this quote to Mike, not because I don't like Mike but because I really wanted that job. But I could not ethically take the work knowing I am going to be delayed because my shop isn't completed. So I passed it off to someone who I consider a good friend and one I know would do an excellent job for the guy.

If I get an auto or marine job, I would gladly pass that off as well. But it would be to someone who has the same high standards I do and produces quality, professional work like Mike, June, Russ and a few others on here.

In regards to solar screens...........no way, I will do everyone I get. :)

Chris

SHHR

Chris, I think what you say speaks volumes about you and your work. Many would accept the job promising a deadline and not fulfill their obligation by being too busy. I think doing that no matter how good the quality gives a guy a bad reputation. Instead you were honest and said I can't get to it now let me recommend someone else who'll do you a good job, that customer will remember that and come back with work for you in the future plus pass the word to others you're one who's good to deal with,
Kyle

Mike8560

I send people all the time to the guy up the road for car top and interiors Chris..
the lady did e mail me the other day but hasnt gotton back with any numbers.

Mojo

Thank you Kyle for the kind words.

I treat my customers the same way I would want to be treated if I were the customer and I am one demanding, stubborn customer. :)

I have always believed that conducting business with a good moral foundation and with good ethics will benefit you in the end.

When they plant me in the ground people can stand over me and say " That guy couldn't sew for crap " and that will be fine as long as they also say " But the guy was honest and ethical ". :)

Do right by people and it will come back to you.

Chris

byhammerandhand

All the time.   I have a couple of associates who do things that I do not do, and don't want to learn to do.  They do the same for me.   I carry their cards with me.

I will also sometimes subcontract parts of jobs to them and likewise.

Quid pro quo.   It works great and avoids having to send lead fees, etc.

I was recently out for a month on medical leave and even referred work to a guy that does exactly the work I do.   He's an upfront guy.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JuneC

I do all the time.  What I've also found as a marketing tool is to provide names/locations for competitors who I know do really top-notch work in the bid process even when I really do want a job.  The "reverse psychology?" seems to work - may Chris knows what this is really called in the marketing process.  What this tells the customer is - I'm not afraid of the competition nor their prices.  I'd rather a customer choose me for the right reasons after some research, not because I was the most aggressive person they called. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

QuoteDo right by people and it will come back to you.

Amen. Remember your stitching is only half of what you're selling. If you're not in a position to provide the customer service you are so famous for you should farm it out.That money you didn't make is probably the best advertising  dollars you will spend this year.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!